Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a welding course a month or so ago and am now ready to buy some equipment.
I'd love to get it all, a gas setup, stick and MIG. But the old budget and lack of a good workspace are serious problems.
So, I'm stuck for now with either gas or a stick or Mig that uses 20 Amps or less at 120 Volts.
The only stick welders that use that little power are "toys" with 5% duty cycles and very questionable penetration and quality.
The Mig welders are a good possibility. For about $500 I can get a Handler 135 with regulator. It will do up to 135 Amps.

But I'm seriousl;y considering going with an oxy-acetylene gas setup "for now". It would also be nice because with the right tanks I could take it into the woods if I needed to.

I've done a little welding with oxy-acetylene. I liked it. But it's not the "standard". Do any folks out there have experience welding with gas? My main uses would be to fix some rust holes on my '82 frame. And then to fab some bumpers and nerf bars and a roll cage.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif My best welder moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif is in the Persian Gulf right now, but if he were here he would gently tell you that there are a lot of limitations on gas welding. Take it from someone who has gas welded some pretty incredible stuff, it's not as versatile as it may seem. Body shops have gone to MIG welding because they can weld with out heating up everything within a foot of the seam, and then have to shrink and mess with it to get things back to normal. True....gas IS portable, but limited. If it were me; and I can't really speak for my welder moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I would buy the same machine that Loosenut bought a month or so ago, and then save up for a torch. Victor has a homeowner grade torch by another name that is a dandy, all you would ever need. It's approximately the size as the Victor Super range is. Why don't you post on this BBS for some pieces and put a torch together by getting a cutting head here....a regulator there...and so forth? NOTHING has to match up....just has to be functional/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also a 110 mig can be run from a gas powered generator, making it portable enough for trail recovery/repairs. The generator also powers those camping essentials such as.................

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif GOOD IDEA!!! MAybe that's the answer to the onboard welder thing. Just have a high-amp alternator to go to an inverter/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gifand carry a wire feed welder./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've actually considered the MIG powered by an inverter.

It would require a 2400 Watt inverter. For a good quality one, it's about $750 - 1000 for the inverter. A bit out of my budget right now.

That would be a cool setup. Then you could also run an electric chainsaw for when you need to do trail maintenance but don't want to excite the neighbors with the sound of a chainsaw up in the woods. Actually, I think most saws can be run on 110 DC, which is easier to get. NAPA sells a box that gives you 110 DC from your 12 DC system for about $100.

I'm also looking at the Lincoln Welder/Generator. For $1000 you get a 4000 Watt / 4400 Peak Generator with a 125 Amp stick welder.

But I could get a $500 generator and power a $500 MIG Welder. Hmmmmmmm........ generator probably wouldn't be as quite as high quality as the Lincoln, but it would give me MIG. Man, choices, choices........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.