Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare set of axles. I've been toying with the idea of pullings things out and welding them up then installing them in the axles under my Sami. But, I have a few questions:

1.) Is this easy to have someone do? I have no idea how or what to weld up.

2.) If I do this and install thm in my axles and they break will they trash the axle housings? I was thining that I could keep the extra set around and if the welded ones broke I could just swap back to unwelded internals without having to swap complete axles.

3.) I'm going to be running a 1.6 - 16V engine with an SJ410 T-case. I'll also have 29 or 31 in. tires and a 4.5 SPOA lift. Will the 16V be too much power to run welded rears? Will I be breaking parts?

Should I weld one or both? If I weld one, which one do I weld up? I drive on the road at least 50% of the time. Will the road characteristics suck?

I've just only started paying attention to the welded rear debate and I'm not too sure about it.

Thanks in advance...

Give it to me; I'll break it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
HEY Capt.Crunch, 1]THERE ARE TWO SLOTTED HOLES YOU CAN WELD THRU,FILL IT UP WITH WELD.SOME GO TO THE OTHER SIDE AND DISASEMBLE THAT SIDE AND WELD THE SPIDER GEARS FROM THAT SIDE ALSO.DONT FORGET TO PULL THE BEARINGS. 2]I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT,I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE BREAK YET.MOST GUYS WITH COVERS ON THE RIGS ,JUST PULL THE COVER REWELD AND GO ON. 3] I HAVE A 4.3 ENG,350 AUTOMATIC,5;38 R/P,4;16 T-CASE AND 14X33 BOGGERS.NO BREAKAGE YET-BUT I DRIVE WITH STYLE,I IDLE OVER STUFF.4] WELD THE REAR ONLY-END OF STORY. HOPE THIS HELPS ,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM

·
4,429 Posts
its not the axles you weld its the carrier in the middle . dont no about breaking anything havent done that yet.and i drive mine on the highway every other day no promblems

RUN IN TO YOU LATER

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it's not the axles. I was just wondering if I'd mess up the housings if the carrier were to break.

Give it to me; I'll break it.

G

·
1) sure its easy to have someone do, do it yourself in fact. weld the gears together.
2) if you actually broke a welded diff, your chances of causing even more harm to the housing are increased. No one can say for sure if it will 'trash the housings' but welded diffs dont usually break, you will usually break something else though.
3) that engine wont be too much power for a welded diff. not many engine ARE! Just ask Rick there with his 4.3! if you gear it low enough and drive it smart enough, you should be fine with 31's. Bottom line for any serious four wheeling is that you will break parts. Welding the diff just means you will break OTHER parts besides the diff. :)

Dont weld either, get a locker. You have to weigh the pros and cons of having it welded up front or out back. Too many to go over right now cuz Im tired. hehe Road characteristics for a welded front diff wont change, they WILL change if rear is welded, no matter WHAT people may say.

In the long run, it is better to use a locker of some kind...they provide the same traction, they unlock for free wheeling and steering, and they have warranties. Welded diffs dont. :)

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts