Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better for attaching nerf/rock bars to the frame: welding or bolting them on? I have heard that if you come down hard enough on a bar that is welded on then you can rip the frame apart. Does it make a difference? Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That depends on the strength of your frame in the area you weld it. I have seen a bumper pulled out of a frame(bolts intact) that was held in with grade 8 bolts. Just something to think about.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a thought.......

Why not bolt it, then tach weld in a few spots. Should be plenty strong, but then if it REALLY REALLY wants to break off, it can, without ripping up the frame (hopefully)!

Personally, I prefer 3/16" angle iron with a 7/16" joint, attached to the rocker panels with 3/8" grade 5 bolts. Much better clearance, super cheap, and super strong!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've heard a couple guys on the binary group say that everywhere their frames cracked was at a weld. Also in industry, they engineer parts to shed(come apart) in a particular order. I would rather have the bar break the bolts than bend the frame. Even if it caused some body damage. Body repair and bolt replacement ary easier than fixing the frame and they will go back closer to original form. Maybe even grade 5 or 2 bolts??????? My 2.5 cents.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I remember seeign in a mag once years ago, the guy bolted/welded the stubs to the frame they only stuck out a couple of inches
then the nerf slid over them and were held in by hardened pins, so under a load the pins would shear and the frame mounts didnt get messed up.

as long as they didnt shear when you needed them that would be a cool set up.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif OOOOOOKayyyy......HERE is the real solution..... Remember, you don't WANT to weld to the frame if you can avoid it, AND....you want to spread the stress out over a long distance. So....you make a piece which saddles onto the frame......bolts in several places.....and then IT has the bar welded to IT. BE SURE that the whole thing will come off after the bars are welded...in other words, don't "capture" the bracket./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.