Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recalling reading a post in one of the recent threads about someone offering steel degree shims that weld to the spring perches rather than bolting to the spring packs. The post hasn't turned up in any of the searches that I've run. Does anyone have any info on these, who sells them, and do they have a website?

Dean

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'd normally object to degree shims, but being a weld-on application they're quite a bit stronger than the ones that are secured only by the center pin. The proper way to fix the caster is to cut the knuckles, turn them to the desired angle and reweld. It depends on how much metal working experience you have and if you want to spend the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Junkfood - Those are the ones. Thanks for the link.

All Locked Up - Agreed, that's I had my axles set up to work with my suspension rather than the other way around. I was asking for a friend of mine who showed up at my house with a set of <shudder> aluminum shims in his hand. Those things should be illegal.

Dean

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I think this was covered a few days/weeks ago, and I know it's probably a no-no, but would it be okay to put like a 2-3 degree weld on shim up front? Reason being is I'd like to get a bit more caster, but not have to redo the knuckles. Also, would that much change cause hell in 4wd with the front driveshaft? Or would it not matter aslong as I'm not going over 10mph? Thanks!

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
Up to about 5* shouldn't be any problem.

I found my old aluminum shims a couple weeks ago. My mother-in-law is coming tomorrow to see the new baby and bringing her digital camera. I'll try to remember to snap a picture of what's left of the shims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.