Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal, I have a duel battery setup with a Hellroaring battery isolator. Works great. This morning I plugged in one of those solar battery maintainers, just because I haven't been driving the Jeep much and want to keep the batts charged. About 15 minutes later, as I was leaving for work (in a different vehicle) the radio in the Jeep just went on. No keys in it, not turned on nothing, just power to the radio (which was on the last time I drove) I haven't done ANY electrical stuff recently at all.

What could cause the power to the radio???

TIA

·
Registered
875 Posts
That's along the lines I was thinking...You don't have a ex-wife, or ex-girlfriend, practicing voodoo, on a miniature Jeep like yours do you?

·
Registered
946 Posts
So here's the deal, I have a duel battery setup with a Hellroaring battery isolator. Works great. This morning I plugged in one of those solar battery maintainers, just because I haven't been driving the Jeep much and want to keep the batts charged. About 15 minutes later, as I was leaving for work (in a different vehicle) the radio in the Jeep just went on. No keys in it, not turned on nothing, just power to the radio (which was on the last time I drove) I haven't done ANY electrical stuff recently at all.

What could cause the power to the radio???

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! I could go on talking spooks here but...

I bet the solar charger plugs into the cigar lighter. It's supplying power to your radio and other acccessories and NOT to your battery because the cigar lighter is switched OFF from the battery when the key is off. Actually I'm pretty impressed it has enough power to run the radio.

If it's not plugged into the cigar lighter, I'd go see a priest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like the christine syndrome to me

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO,,,, I just watched that movie 2 nights ago... too funny!!!!

Hey if the radio is giving a green glow,,,,,RUUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it was weird. I was just getting into my car and the radio went on. Of course with no top or anything it was up a little loud for a nice quiet suburbia morning.

The charger does plug into the cigar/cigarette/cigarillo or whatever lighter. But if the key is off, and what you are saying is correct, the charger does nothing to maintain the charge?? Unless the only drain on the battery is the radio that is off, and it then "maintains" the charge in the battery by sutaining the accessories that would be drawing power, not by sending juice to the battery.

Maybe I should just use the clips and hook it to the main battery directly and see what happens.

If that gets the radio turned on, I will look up the short lady from poltergeist and hope I don't hear "thheeeeyy'rrre baaaaaacckk"

Thanks

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

If that gets the radio turned on, I will look up the short lady from poltergeist and hope I don't hear "thheeeeyy'rrre baaaaaacckk"

[/ QUOTE ]

too late, she's dead.. you better call Bill Murray, Dan Hemroid and the Ghost busters....

·
Registered
946 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it was weird. I was just getting into my car and the radio went on. Of course with no top or anything it was up a little loud for a nice quiet suburbia morning.

The charger does plug into the cigar/cigarette/cigarillo or whatever lighter. But if the key is off, and what you are saying is correct, the charger does nothing to maintain the charge?? Unless the only drain on the battery is the radio that is off, and it then "maintains" the charge in the battery by sutaining the accessories that would be drawing power, not by sending juice to the battery.

Maybe I should just use the clips and hook it to the main battery directly and see what happens.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif

The battery is completly disconnected with the key off and your just running the radio and other accesories with the solar panel because they are on the same side of the switch as the lighter.

Yeah, Just use the clips directly to the battery and all should be well.....

As I said, I'm quite impressed it can run a radio so well. Check your voltmeter and see if it's showing a voltage when plugged into the lighter.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
There are two types of plugs. One is keyed and one is a constant "power outlet". It is the second that those chargers are meant to be used with. They won't do anything on the keyed type as said since it is disconnected from the battery with the key off.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
STOP ALREADY!

You are running laps around the obvious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Push in the cigarette lighter with the key OFF.
If the lighter gets hot, you should be fine (but your Jeep IS haunted), if it doesn't, you will have to connect to live battery circuits...

Personally, I hope the Jeep is haunted! That would be much more interesting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts