Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I found the hitch set up that i am probably going to go with. However I came into another problem. The brackets that go onto the trailer frame hang on the frame and have a "set screw" that gets tightened from the inside of the frame rails. These work on both c channel frames or square tubing.

I have a C-channel frame but the top is like 5 inches wide. The bracket will fit over like a 3inch frame. They suggested that I either have them cut the brackets and weld them on the trailer or notch a slot out so that the bracket falls into place, than I can put the bolt in from inside the c-channel.

I don't want to have it welded on cause I would like to be able to remove it if I get a new trailer. Does anybody think putting a slot on top of the frame rails about 3/4"x4"'s would cause a major problem.

I figured I would mark out where I want them, Drill a hole at each end and than use the cut off tool (I don't have a torch) and make a clean cut.

Thanks for your imput.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The slot will not materially affect the structural strength of the trailer frame. Keep it as narrow as possible./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There shouldn't be that much force on the frame from that part of the hitch BUT if you want to be really well-built, you could sandwich a piece of flat steel between the frame and hitch-bracket--and just weld the flat steel in place.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all, I picked it up today, I hope to take care of the install on Saturday. Hopefully I will see a great deal of improvement :)

OverMost 4WD Club

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess your talking about the peices that the chains lock on to for the bars. i had to grind a 1/4 inch off my frame rail to make them fit. i'm going to weld them one day:)and if i get another trailer i'll grind'em off. can you drill and bolt them to the side using 2- 5/8 or 3/4 bolts(i like big)i don't know the shear strenght or if this is ok to do call hitch manuf. and ask

taco
78cj7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't aware but there are some holes in the bracket for bolting them to the frame. two on the side and one on the top. In order to do this, you have to cut off a piece of the bracket that goes over the frame. I would like to do my original idea but if that doesn't look easy enough i will cut the piece off the bracket and bolt it on. Three bolts enough?

Thanks

OverMost 4WD Club

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you plan on doing. (I must not understand, CJDave would never promote what I visualize.) The rail or channel is a "structural" piece for the trailer. Alter it, and you alter the strength of the trailer. Cut out the flange and part of the web to fit a bracket on, and you have seriously altered the strength. If the cut is only in the web and you plan on leaving the flange unmolested, no problem. Just take the time to file the hole smooth to alleviate any stess high points.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky. Not enjoying our continued lack of snow!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture of a trailer I found on the net. There is a bracket in the picture. Its held on by a setscrew. The bracket is sitting on the frame rail. My frame rail is wider than the bracket will allow. So my idea was to put a "slot" in the frame rail for the bracket to fall into place correctly. Than put the set screw in from below.

My new idea is to cut off the piece that has the set screw. There are two holes on the outside that I could use to bolt it to the trailer and there is one on the top also. Will 3 bolts hold this on safe? Thanks.

OverMost 4WD Club

Attachments

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I gave my "OK" on the slot idea because the flange was so wide and the slot was narrow./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif I am still OK with that scheme, but bolting through the web is actually a better way to go. By leaving just the outside corner of the little piece that wraps over the top of the frame, he can make a very strong attachment with the bolt-up. Two 1/2" bolts will hold it with no problem under those conditions. DO NOT bolt it through the top; it doesn't need it./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts