Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be dwelling on this, but I've been trying to tune the Weber correctly and have not been able to. I live in NYC and am now looking for a professional to check it out and tune it. I would hate to not be utilizing the weber correctly. What upsets me is that the Carter ran smoother then the Weber. So, does anyone know of a professional Weber tuner in the metro area or in the Tri State area? Thanks a lot again. I tried doing a search on the net for a Volkswagen mechanic, figuring they are pretty familiar with the Webers, but have not been able to come up with anything. Please help.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock

· Registered
722 Posts
Donny,

I am sure that in your last post either me or somebody else gave you a Weber tuning guide on the web.
There is really nothing to tuning a Weber and if after following this guide the Weber still isn't running right or gave you an idea whether you need smaller or larger jets, you could still have a vacuum leak or a leak on your intake manifold.
Believe me, the slightest leak on your intake manifold, carburettor or even the hose from your pcv valve to the base plate on your carburettor, the Jeep will run like sh*t.
I had a leak on my intake manifold and the Jeep idled terrible.
Then the hose in between the pcv valve an carburettor base plate tore (invisible for the eye as it was underneath the nipple) and the same happened, very rough idling.

I suggest that you get your can of WD 40 out and spray around these areas with the engine running.
Any change in rpm or smoothing out of the engine wil tell you where the leak is, if there is one.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300

G

·
I have been helping Donny trying to tune his Weber. His first intall had some leaks, we reinstalled it, new PCV, new hose, no leaks anywhere. I set up the adjustment screws and based on everything we've read, it is probably the Jets. I'd say that the best lean idle was somewhere in the 3-3.5 turns on the mixture screw.

Mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly

· Registered
722 Posts
Hmmmm, this suggests that you need a larger idle jet, however my stock 258 runs fine on the standard factory Weber jets. Didn't you mention you got the Weber second hand? Maybe the jets have been changed in the past or it wasn't installed to a stock 258 in the past??

Give these people a bell, they should be able to give you some advice:

Top-End Performance
7452 Varna Ave
N.Hollywood CA 91605
(818)764-1901 (818)764-0155 fax

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is going to sound really stupid, but I am very ignorant when it comes to carbs. Where are the jets exactly and how can I tell what size i currently have in there? Thanks.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock

G

·
I have simalar problems and I cannot find any help here on Long Island. International Motor has been some help but he is back ordered on the Jets I need. I have a 60 size Idle Jet and I need a 65 & 70. To find the primary Idle Jet, look at the passanger side of carb, under air filter, left of accelerator pump, look for large brass slot screw. Good luck.

87 Wrangler, 258, weber, aluminum valve cover, TR igintion upgrade, rs5000, 3 inch body lift, 31x10.5 BFG t/a, nerfs, interior bed liner paint, no rust, riged for the beach

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.