Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an hei dist for $25, & I found a weber carb in pieces , All the pieces are there. How do you identify the size27? The only numbers I saw were 26&27. If that was the actual size would it be big enough for a 258.

G

·
What does the hei have to do with the weber, Everybody keep relating these two together. they are two idependent systems that have no effect on each other.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UH you are right. I guess I was just exited that I found a dist at the first place I stopped at after thinking about this for a long time.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hey, what years/models came with an HEI dist. in a 258". I would love to dump the Motojunk ign system in my '83. Would I have to do anything to fool the computer to still think it is controling things or would I have to get an early carb as well and get rid of the computer al-together? Thanks!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I can't help you on the Webulator JM, but that was a nice find on the GM HEI./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I wish it were that easy for the 304 family of engines. There are a bunch of Weber carb guys on this page/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif that will doubtlessly jump in here and set you straight on which model you need to identify. I believe the new spark plug gap will be 50-55 with the HEI now. Hey,.....you're set for the "hard times"/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif now;.....those UN troops will never catch you by depriving you of parts for your Jeep!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The GME HEI and the weber are indeed 2 separate items, they just happen to work very well together. The HEI fits right it, just get the correct gear. There are a few sites that some of these guys have made that makes the swap real easy. I don't have the links, you should be able to dig them up.

The weber I have is the 32/36, and is a good choice for a stock to mild engine. There are, however, a lot of different weber carbs - downdrafts, sidedrafts, progressives, synchronous... Just cause you have one in pieces and it says weber on it, doesn't necessarily make it the one you want. Unless you have a WHOLE lot of time on your hands, and can rebuild a carb properly, checking and possibly replacing throttle shaft bushings, etc., I highly recommend going with a new weber. The distributor can be easily found used, and is usually in pretty good shape.

Good luck
Pete
weber 32/36 GMHEI

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

G

·
You'd have to do the Nutter ignition bypass to get the computer out of the loop entirely. Getting rid of the Carter BBD carb just wont do it. Believe me, I know.

CJ8George
o[[[[o
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for info ,I looked at the carb again today and it is a 32/36. Also I know there are other people on this board, I saw that Dave was just on there before I posted my Question and I just thought I would ring his number, Thanks again, JMZ.

G

·
Question then, When you add the Weber carb to the system(inplace of the stock carb), you change the spark gap from 45, to 50-55 ?
Didnt realize that. The carb seems kind of slugish, even after the reg. was added. Please get back to me on this one Dave

Chu
[email protected]
YJ-7
HEI, 32/36, stump puller clutch,
44/30 axles both geared and locked
Warn axles, 8274, T-18, 35 MT/Rs, York set-up, ect...

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif You can open the spark gap when you convert to HEI. That, again, is independent of the Webmobile conversion. Unless you have the HEI in there, the plug gap must stay the same. Are you running the fuel return line and three-port filter on that Weber?

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Yes sir, have the 3 port and a return to the tank line, I was having trouble adjusting the linkage but fixed that. Just doesnt seem to have that get up and go power.

Chu
[email protected]
YJ-7
HEI, 32/36, stump puller clutch,
44/30 axles both geared and locked
Warn axles, 8274, T-18, 35 MT/Rs, York set-up, ect...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.