Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a buddy and I were at the shooting range. He drives a 1994 Wrangler w/ a 4.0. The old round vs. square debate came up, and we decided to settle it by driving up the berm. The berm is about 40 feet high and starts at about a 45 degree angle, and get steeper towards the top. I haven't driven my jeep up anything this steep before, and when I began to thinks about it, I thought I had been suckered. No way a 258 with a weber carb is going to keep running at that angle.

Much to my suprise, I made it up. I went up fast the first time, then put it low range and crawled up the second time. Both times the engine ran smooth as normal. Even on the ride down, the engine ran normal. Anybody else have this type of performance out of a weber carb? With this type of performance, no need to upgrade to FI.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent! Only on this site can I tell about jeepin at the range. And the first guy to reply has a picture of Dirty Harry w/ an automag. The only thing better than jeepin or shooting, is jeepin at the range after shooting.

Mr. Creeper,
Did you have to adjust the float very much? I havn't touched mine. Whould you recommend adjusting lowering the float?

G

·
Per Redline Weber's tech manual limit the drop to 44.5 mm, you might also want to drop your float level a tiny bit, but the drop is what is important to not flood out. Also, a fuel pressure regulator is mandatory, run it at 2-3 lbs.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Throw on a fuel pressure regulator ($19 Puralator), dial it down to about .5 pound for off road and you can do THIS:

During the 5-10 minutes I was playing at these extreme angles, the engine only died once, and I suspect it's because I was lugging it too much. My experience is that if you can keep the revs up around 1200 or more, it'll run like a raped-ape at very extreme angles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.