Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has done this upgrade to their 4.2 258? I have an '87 YJ and I"m going to be installing this carb and I'm wondering about the air injection tube ports on the front pipe and on the catalytic converter. What do you do with these? Plug em, patch em? Get new pipe and catalytic without these ports? Just wondering. I see that a lot of the vacuum tubes and valves can disappear now. PS-I have a Carter BBD for sale if anyone is interested. Hee hee. Just kidding, I wouldn't wish that carb on my worst enemy. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Wellllll..... It's like this.

It depends on where you are, and what kind of emissions testing you have in your area. (LEVE may come down hard on you because you didn't fill out your profile
.)

Here in Massachusetts, we have to go up on the dyno for our emissions, but there is no 'visual' check of all systems. They're only concerned with what comes out of the tailpipe (as it SHOULD be.) The states that say that the stock emissions control stuff must be in place really should revisit that law.

Anyway, I have the 32/36, and I have removed the whole pulse-air system. Plug the connection at the exhaust pipe where it comes off the manifold, and plug the connection at the cat. New plugs, fresh oil change, recent cat. She passes the emissions test fine.
I do find that I need an EGR valve in place to keep the NOx down, as running without the EGR can lead to higher NOx values, and she'd fail that way for NOx, even though the other numbers were good.

I also have the GM HEI distributor, so my configuration is modified somewhat as well. Keep in mind that JUST the installation of the weber does not remove the computer from the distributor, and your computer system will still somewhat 'partially' operate.

Just my $0.02
Good luck
Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.