Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrgh...ok I've put off fixing my emmissions problems, and now I have 14 days to fix it or my registration gets yanked.

Here's my situation: Weber 32/36, on otherwise stock 258 with all emissions stuff removed and HEI distributor.
I can pass the idle emmissions test, but not the 2500 rpm test.
Some posts I've read here lately have me thinking. I assumed the carb needed new jets. I remember reading that the stock fuel pump puts out something like 8(?)psi, when the Weber works best with 2.5psi.
I do NOT have a fuel pressure regulator, so does that mean that at higher RPM's (2500) that the stock fuel pump is forcing too much fuel into the carb and therefore causing me to fail emmisions? Or, is it still a function of the jets, and the fuel pressure regulator will do nothing for my emmissions?

So basically, since I only have 14 days to fix it, should I bother putting a pressure regulator on it, or concentrate on finding the correct jets?

Thanks,

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://www.cableone.net/wdohrn

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
That Weber will operate it's best at 3psi, I'd put a regulator on it first. You can go down in small increments on the primary fuel jet, or go up one size on the air corrector. I imagine that's all it would take. If you need jets, look at http://www.carbs.net/index.htm , they have some pretty good prices, and a great tech dept. Napa sells a decent fuel pressure regulator, part number 730-2368, for about $30 including 3/8" hose fittings. They also have ones set up for 5/16" and 1/4" fittings. Hope this helps,
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...

·
Registered
535 Posts
First of all, what are you failing on the 2500 rpm test?

Hydrocarbons? CO? NOx?

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Also change your oil before going. I also leaned my carb out until it was stumbling/running like crap for the duration of the test.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts