Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Been working in a shop since I was about 12 years old, seriously since about 16. I always wore wafety glasses when I thought I needed to, Grinding, shearing, air hammer work ect, but saturday morning I was working on a contract deal I have recycling AC units and while breaking a fan off of a motor a piece of the fan hit me in the eye. Lucky for me the eye doc was still in. After about 1 hour of exam and work on the eye I was out with good news my contact protected my eye. It got cut and the white part of my eye got cut, but nothing that will not heal. So I sat around yesterday and since I couldn't see out of my right eye I tested my drink making abilites. Amazingly they were uneffected, So several margaritas later and I feel much better.

Moral of the story Dont be a dumb ass like me wear your safety glasses.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I didn't wear safety glasses while on the rifle range one day.
I was one of the range instructors, and I thought I was 'Safe' in the rear...
One guy dropped an ammo can on a bottle of bore cleaner...

Corrosive solvents hit me in the face in the cleaning area and I was in eye patches and completely blind for about 3 weeks and about 3 months of 'Legally Blind' condition before the eyes healed, and now I'm in corrective glasses for the rest of my life...

I have safety lenses in all my eye wear now that I can't use 'Normal' safety glasses...
I don't take ANY chances I don't have too!
I've had a taste of being blind and I don't like it one bit!
-------------------

My former brother in law was using a nail gun on a construction site and tried to drive a nail in were one already was...
The result was a punctured eyeball and he lost the sight in that eye permanently.
He was wearing a pair of safety glasses around his neck on a lanyard, but wouldn't wear them because he said it make him look 'Geeky'...
-------------------

I don't think we are unusual either, almost everyone my age in the automotive or industrial fields I talk to has had a very close call at one time or another...
-------------------

Plastic safety lenses may scratch easier than glass, but I can replace the GLASSES...

-------------------
-------------------

I've got a pair of safety glasses around here that were not being worn by and employee until I & the floor supervisor insisted for the 4,000th time he wear them...

About 10 minutes later he caught a metal sliver about 1.5" long and about 3/16" in dia. out of the milling machine in the eye when a tool head broke...

The safety glasses (UVEX wraparounds) stopped the sliver and all it did was scratch his eye lid!
You couldn't PRY the safety glasses off him after that!
He even wore them to the crapper and at lunch!

I keep the damaged pair as a safety training aid, along with a picture of his eyelid, and it's effective!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
one day I walked into the garage where a friend was grinding and caught a few metal slivers in the eye. they rusted overnight and it was enough where I look like this in the garage now:.. this pic is from last week.

now.. lets talk about those steel toedwelding sandals...

·
Registered
946 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
now.. lets talk about those steel toed welding sandals...

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there done that. Even had the same sandals. I didn't know what I was thinking. Just one little quick tack and .....

I have a friend who's a professional photographer and he was cleaning bolts up on a wire wheel. I looked over and asked if he needs his eyes to photograph people. He wore them for a little while but gave up working on cars and took up Golf.

Are those jack stands suffient??

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I like these, but I'm in the over 50 club.

And I really should stick with lead glasses, but they want too much money for bifocal X-ray glasses.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
don't know the validity of it, but from what I understand, if you ever go to have a CAT scan, you might want to let them know you've once had metal in your eye. aparently it can be dangerous in some manner or another if there is still any left in your eye.

glad to hear that you're gonna be alright.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It would be an MRI that you would worry about metal fragments, you would be okay for a CT.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Yup, MRI. Just had one in Feb and the first thing she asked was how I wanted to pay for it, and the second thing was is there ANY possibility that I could have metal fragments in my eyes...

I answered, "Insurance" and "Huh?".

She went on to tell me I needed X-rays before I had the MRI because of the possibility of metal in the eyes I didn't know about...
(Great, MORE Radiation!)

Shocked the crap out of me! I had no idea...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes on the MRI.. The magnetic field could move the metal chips in the eye. Dangerous.
Safety glasses when using spray guns and pressure washers. My 3200psi pressure washer will blow out loose knots in wood and they hit you like a shotgun slug... Drop an airless and you may loose you eye in less than a blink.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
MRI... CT.... all crap I don't understand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
crap. I never thought about the MRI thing..
For those that think it's not so bad.. here is what it is like getting metal pulled from your eye:
they put a big clamp on your eye to hold it open... then they pour milky goop in your eye and turn out the lights in the room. Then they shine a bright light directly in your eye. The doc was scolding me with "you MUST wear safety glasses" when she said "the metal rusted.. I'll be right back"
She returned with something that looked and sounded exactly like a dentist drill. If you think the dentist drill is a bad sound in your mouth, wait till you hear it going and see it get jabbed in your clamped-open eye. She pulled metal out with various tools and put it on a napkin. An amazing amount of rust and metal. When she was done grinding the rust from my eye she said it would hurt for a few days.. and it did.
I never want to do that again. I forget good safety glasses are even on after a short while.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Been there too Chris. Lets not forget about the GIANT IV contact that they put in to flush with. And also having your pupil dialated for 24 hrs afterwords that sunlight feels like a cutting torch in them.
It all SUX!!!!!!

Wear protection.

·
Registered
484 Posts
hey JYG id sure appreciate pics of those glasses if possible, would be good to hang on the shop bulletin board/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny while running scrap I was accused of wearing welding glasses for sunglasses. Didn'r have the heart to tell him that I couldn't stand the sunlight in the cutting torch glasses, but couldn't drive in anything darker.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have the opposite story.

Cleaning a piece of steel on the wire wheel when a wire shot off. Hit me in the cheeck (SP) and bounced into the back side of the glasses then to my eye. Luckly it hit my eye sideways and just kinda layed there. Had to get my dad to get out though. Worst part is i never wear glasses. You think i would growing up in a machine shop.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Kerry, (the guy that came to Redbird with me) and I were rebuilding his carb today, making it more 'Off Road Friendly' when he came in the house and informed me he had carb cleaner, The acid dip kind, in both eyes.

He had to walk right past a rack by the back door that had about 6 pairs of safety glasses, and we just had a conversation about chemicals and safety glasses before we started this project...

I think he's going to be OK, but it's just by dumb luck and not planning...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts