Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with re-locating their computer if so where did you mount it, or even any good tips for making it totally waterproof?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the same idea. However, from what my mechanic buddies told me is this. If you relocate it, you have to lengthen each of the 8 billion wires going to it. I was going to mount it either behind or under the glove box in the dash. Under the drivers seat is not the best place in the world. Im no stranger to having water in the cab! Thank goodness it was on the pass side. From what everyone tells me, this is way more trouble than its worth. Just make sure your door seals are in good shape! ;)

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the door-seals, let's just say there fading with time? My computer is on the pass side and the water has been ever so close on numerous occations also. I read somewhere that one idea was to get that super stretchy electrical tape which I can't remember the name of course and apply it to all the wire leads to & from the computer, but that just didn't seem to cut it for me? I have even thought about ripping all the carpet out and rhino-lining the whole floor including the computer and then slapping the carpet back on overtop?
Pretty hilarious hey!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have an idea my man. Try building a box for it, out of either sheet metal, or aluminum, whatever works for you. Mount if over the top of the computer, and use some form of sealant around the base. RTV Silicone would be perfect. Wrap your connections with the tape you mentioned, its better than nothing. Heat shrink tubing would be great to put around all the wires, its rubber, and should repel water to some degree. Make the box a little larger than the computer, and mount it with small sheet metal screws, and use maybe even a strip of rubber to act almost like a gasket, and use silicone to boot. That might be a temporary fix. Heck, replace your carpet with marine type for boats..lol! :) Fashioning a water tight container for it would be much easier than moving the blasted thing...just a thought

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's worth a try, I've also thought about that route but just couldn't seem to deside on what sort of box-housing to use. That tape which I'm still trying to remember the name for works just like heat shrinking and is also water resistant I think it to is used for marine applications?
Man! sometimes I almost want to just DIP the whole truck in rhino guard or something.

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go for it, pull the body off the frame, and shoot the whole underside! Yank out the carpet, and tape up what you dont want rhino-lined, and spray away! :) Would be even more interesting!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a big Tupperware fan. In my engine compartment I have a small tupperware container that houses all of my extra electronics, in particular my distribution blocks. All I did was cut a hole for the wires and after I ran them in I just caulked/sealed up the extra space. When I want to put in more wires I just rip out the selant and re-seal when I am done.

- Tim
- [email protected]
- http://members.xoom.com/vtwheelers/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh No! I was talking body and all, just dip the "WHOLE" truck.

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There we go, done deal!

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaha, I like that idea too!!!

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim,
interesting idea! Never would have thought of that one. Sheesh, and I was wanting to build a custom thing for it. There is always an easier way. Great insight!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts