Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently replaced my water pump on my 97 wrangler. I would say no more than a month ago. On my way home from work yesterday I started to over heat. Once I got up today I went out and put water in and saw that it was coming right back out. What would make the new pump go out so fast? Also would this affect my gas milage in any way? I used to get around 375 - 400 miles per tank and now I'm lucky to get 275 miles. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
While I have no reason to think that your current situation has anything to do with one of my past PITAs...

Some years ago I went through three replacement water pumps in four days. The parts house that I bought all but the last from didn't understand that I wasn't very concerned about the price anymore. I just wanted a pump that would last for more than half way to work. Changing the darn thing every night...

Buy a new pump from a different place and avoid the re-manufactured pumps.

Sometimes it is actually cheaper to pay just a little more up front.

Don't forget to return the new/leaking pump and get your money back.

So if the above doesn't apply... Sorry... someone else will jump in.

Not sure about your fuel economy problem. You can over tighten a V-Belt setup and kill a water pump... Would expect that you have a serpentine belt and tensioner, would rule that out.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Incorrect pump.
Incorrect gasket.
Incorrect gasket install.
Over tightening bolts.
Missing bolts or plugs.
Gasket surface scarred or corroded.
Too much 'Gasket Maker'.
Leaking hose or nipple.
Leaking pump mount housing.

Where is the pump leaking from?
Can you actually put your finger on the leak?
What is the gasket doing in that area?
Is the leak on or near a nipple or joint?
Is it leaking around the shaft?
Out the vent ('weep') hole?

There has to be a cause and a cure...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sounds to me like the water pumps you've been getting have the wrong rotation.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Had a similar problem with a '70 bronco. The back side of the pump had a plate that bolted on...dumb-a#@ me didn't bolt it together. after I couldnt figure out the issue, a repair shop found the missing bolts and spent a day in a wrecking yard looking for replacement bolts...he didnt know I had them on my work bench. I now read directions (sometimes). The all depends on where it is leaking from. Also I am noticing that almost every part that I have bought from a certian parts store chain, bairly make it 6 mo befor they are failing. Try a diffrent parts store, such as NAPA or a Dealer, it will cost more but if the problem is in the part, it may eleminate you changing your waterpump as often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.