Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a long trip last week in my XJ. It ran hotter than usual on the trip and today I noticed some coolant leaking from the front of my engine-which points to a new water pump for me.
I have done this job before on other cars I have owned. I was wanting to know if anyone had any pointers for me to make this easier or anything I might run into while doing it. I was planning on replacing the thermostat while I am at it and the lower radiator hose as well. I want it to run cooler when I get done and would consider installing a aftermarket fan if anyone has any suggestions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced my water pump on 1990 4.0L earlier this year. One strange thing, I paid less for a brand new water pump at The Auto Zone than the prices I was quoted at 2 other parts stores for rebuilt units. And no core charge.

Jeep/Ramcharger

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Not really much to it.Ive replaced mine in my 87 4.0

1 cross plus
3 nails
----------------
4 given /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
If only I wheeled as much as Im on this board/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just replaced mine last week, same problem. It was like $50 at NAPA auto parts. More of a chore than I am used to though, nothing like a 70's Chevy 350. Just make sure you've got a few hours, and lots of sockets with short and long handles. An open ended 13mm wrench is a lifesaver also because you have to loosen 4 bolts on the power steering pump and they're hard to get to (from behind and underneath) Good luck.

89 Cherokee 3" lift 31X10.5 Pirelli all terrains

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
hey,

GET A NEW ONE!! don't bother w/ a rebuild, their the same price anyway. Also there are only 2 nut on the PS pump that you need to loosen. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE FAN as chilton's says. You also do not need to remove the belt. prepare yourself for quite a mess though, the drain plug for cherokee's is useless don't bother with it. Just pull the lower radiator hose and watch it pour out! If you want more cooling there is a company called (i think) flo-cooler, or power cooler something like that (help me on this guys). I did my last one on the side of the road in the snow (that sucked) still it only took an hour and a half.

Later have fun.

Todd

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
DANGIT, I saw a performance water pump for the 4.0 somewhere and now I cant find it!!! Anyone know where? Instead of using the wide impellers it used a more aggressive set of them and was supposed to flow more with less drag on the engine. Help...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
ya thats what i'm talking about, but i can't find remeber or find the name anywhere!

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.