Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rented a trailer and took the Jeep instead of the minivan to Michigan. When we picked up some stuff off the passenger floor, it was all wet. It was only on the passenger floor and seems to be the condensation from the air conditioning. We lifted the carpet and pulled the floor plug to drain most of the water but could not find where the water was coming from.

I thought I have seen this posted before, but could not find it. The Jeep is a 2003 TJ.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The water drain on the condenser is plugged. Causes the pan in the condensor to overflow into the floorboard. Sometimes you can get to the drain tube on the firewall and clean it I used a coat stiff wire tie on mine, will work for about a year then have to do it again. The only real way to fix it is to take it apart and clean it but that is a big job.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The condenser overfloor is way up at the front of the passenger well, right? The water was only just in from of the seat. The carpet was not wet up by firewall.

I have a few days at my Moms house to actually get the carpet up to look around so any other possibilities I can look for?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
99/100% probability that this is from the evaporator. The plumbing where it drains is probably off of the firewall. Look at the other side in the engine bay. If you don't have a turned down little hose (it is a formed right angle) ...you can have this just from the turbulance in the engine bay. Happened to both my TJ's ...both just the passenger side. Very common problem.

Now since I didn't see it in either of your posts ...did it happen to rain during your trip? If "No" ..then you have your answer.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
AC in a Jeep? WHAT?

Jeff you should be ashamed!

Compressors are ment for OBA not AC!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
My clutch went out over a year ago, so I put a non ac belt on it,,,, So HA.

I agree when I bought it I tried to get them down cause I didn't want AC,,,

But I could really use it on my truck!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will talk a look around today in the area mentioned. To describe the weather conditions, hot and humid is the best way to describe it. I did find the previous posts by searching for "water" in posts for the last 4 years. The other 2 post that seemed similar appear to be related to rain water leaking in.

Since this was the first time that the air conditioning was run for 4 hours straight that is most likely the underlying reason.

To defend the AC in a Jeep. With a passenger in the backseat on the highway the wind is just too much.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I just get better passengers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
668 Posts
G A is right. There is a TSB for that. The drain under the hood sticks straight out from the firewall. When driving it blows the water back against the firewall and into the opening where the tube comes out. Eventually it soaks the foam gasket and water starts running down into the floor pan.

Installing a piece of hose onto the drain tube turned down towards the ground will fix it. Gas line off of a carburated V8 and a hose clamp work great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts