Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've hand washed my TJ twice but have yet get gasoline, still operating on the tank full the dealer put in.

Is this normal, or do I need to drop the garden hose and slowly back away from the soap bucket?

Please tell the wife it's highly unlikely that I can rub the paint off of it.

Maybe I'll wax it today... so what that the heat index is over 100.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Your supost to wash them?? I just keep driving around looking for water puddles, and there not easy to find in Arizona.
Keith

·
Registered
963 Posts
Damn, twice already?! Double that and you have how many times I've washed my Unlimited... since I bought it in July 04. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
If you wash it too much it will shrink... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Talk like that will get you banned on here Larry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I haven't washed mine since I can't even recall. I did it sometime within the past 12 months, but I have no idea when. I came home from Colorado and there was still mud on it from the Bash and before in May. Last night the inside got a wash when I left the top off in the rain for a few minutes before I realized it was raining.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I just drive around on the streets when it rains the two times a year that it does here. Works for me!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Nick, my CJ also got it's interior cleaned during the last storm. My daughter said the old Jeep looked sad as it stared at the new TJ that had bumped it from the garage. So I had a talk with Patches (81 CJ). I told him he was no longer my primary daily driver, but I promised the run him often enough to keep him lubed. I consoled him that he was still my primary ORV and that we might see more agressive use in hunting and wheeling. I think Patches driveshaft got a little firmer and He's either smirking or smiling at the TJ now with some kind of gesture. I'll try to get a pic.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I've noticed, on my off-road vehicles, that it is faster and easier to just spray more paint over the dirt that to actually wash it off... and you think I'm kidding...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Wait put the cj back inside and let the TJ sit outside. Its new it doesnt need a garage. The CJ will be much happier in the garage, pluss less rust. How do i know. Since buying the house the CJ has had a rood over her and she hasnt yet not started. If only to pull it out to get the rider out.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The only wash my Jeeps get is when I can find a mud hole/water puddle - drives the wife nutz... but the boys (& driver) love it!

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Man, don't put "patches" out to pasture. She is a might purdy gal. At least put a roof over her head and tuck her in at night. She does deserve it. She has taken care of you for many years. It's the least you can do for a "large roundeye". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yeah, remeber once she's gone you are gonna have a hard time replacing her, on the other hand, TJ's are $300k a dozen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
damn.. In the 5 years I've own omy CJ, I've only washed it twice.... with soap... I'll hose off mud, but that's it...

I say, put down the hose, get in and go get it dirty. a Jeep doesn't truely run right unless it's dirty....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm probably gonna get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/owned1.gif for saying this, but I try very hard to keep my Bondo filled heep as nice looking as possible between beatings. I've always been of the opinion that a clean, well maintained Jeep is a happy Jeep and washing IMHO is part of the maintenance. Afterall, some of the stuff we wheel in isn't good for paint and metal, especially if it gets to sit in all the cracks and crevises and hot sunlight all day, baking into the finish.

That being said, I like the look of a dirty Jeep just as much as a clean one, but it seems like everytime I do wash the mud and sand off, I find some sort of maintenance issue to deal with. Maybe this is why I can drop whhat I'm doing, jump in and go wheeling if someone calls, where others say Oh wait, I've got to change this and fix this first, I haven't touched it since the last time we were out.

Use a quality automotive soap, most have some sort of carnuba or silicone waxlike additive in them. But remember that repeated will deminish the wax's protective properties so you'l have to wax regularly as well.

Wow, I better step back and put my flame retardent suit on now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Afterall, some of the stuff we wheel in isn't good for paint and metal,

[/ QUOTE ]

aaahhhh, the one big joy of a fiberglass jeep, no worries about teh tub, hood, fenders or windshield frame rusting away... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
aaahhhh, the one big joy of a fiberglass jeep, no worries about teh tub, hood, fenders or windshield frame rusting away...

He says as he sits there in the pristeen tub that once was a Jeep, with the rusted broken hulk of a frame laying there turning to dust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif

·
Registered
344 Posts
Washing is for sissies! For every layer of mud/dirt you gain a little horse power! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif

G

·
It's just like marriage....the longer you are together, the less you do it.

The honeymoon will be over soon....but look on the bright side, you can't get your jeep pregnant......but you might be able to get your wife pregnant in the jeep....roll bars have more than one purpose.....

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Used to wash mine once a week, now about once every 6 months. But it gets sprayed off after every offroad trip.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
you can't get your jeep pregnant

[/ QUOTE ]
I did hope to see a litter of little Jeeps when I returned from vacation, since I parked them in the garage together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts