Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warn Lift Kits, was \"Which spring pack...\"

I see from some previous threads that a few of you have the Warn Black Diamond 3" lift kit. I would like to hear some of you opinions on this kit, ie/ quality, ride, warranty, tech support, etc. Carparts.com has this kit and a sale right now for a great price and I am considering buying one for my '77 CJ7, w/304, Qtrac and TH400. I am running 31's right now but may go to a 33 eventually. Also, has anyone else heard that Warn is trying to sell the Black Diamond line of kits and concentrate on the coil overs? Would this effect the warranty and such? Thanks,
rich

fratt

G

·
Re: Warn Lift Kits, was \"Which spring pack...\"

The springs (3.5") an a YJ are a little tight when it's empty (read: bouncy). I went camping last weekend, and with about 500lbs of stuff in the back... the ride was superplush.

They are loosening up nicely, but the front (4spring pack) seems to be a little adverse to flexing... I get lots of body roll. Now, this may be because I have 4" extended bump-stops, but I rarely hit them at max articulation.

3" might be a little tight for 33"s on a CJ...

All in all... for the $... it was worth it. Ride is much better than stock, esp with the sway-bars disco'd....

Don't know about the rest...

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

G

·

Lots of posts on this lately, I have had this kit on my CJ for awhile now and simply put I love it. The http://www.carparts.com price is only a good deal if you use the 1/3 off promotion they had going, other wise it can be had cheaper else where. I am running Daystar greasable shackle's and main-eye's on my truck and the ride and flex are great. As far as Warn discontinuing the black diamond springs I don't know, I would simply call Warn and ask them. http://www.warn.com I would have no worry's about the warranty if they keep making the springs or not, they say life time and I think they will stick by that.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·

the 3in kit works well. to run 33s you will need the bumpstop extensions. if you go to order make sure you get the following part numbers:

2 of 781131
2 of 781132
1 of 781129
1 of 781130

and shocks.
this will make up a kit with all but a pitman arm.

dan
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifLET IT SNOW/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks all. Just one thing, what is the 781130 part? I did not see it on the Carparts site. Also, would it be worthwhile to buy different shocks, ie. RS9000's or just get the Black Diamond ones?

fratt

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Where did you hear the info about warn selling out the Black Diamond spring lift kits, I heard it too, but asked Quadratec & Trailquest (they have a good price too, you have to call though, website is www. trailquest.com) and they said they are not doing this. I am about to buy one also, but it is tricky. What is the price from carparts? Quadratec is $599 for the kit (incl U-bolts & bushings), trailquest is a little less, but doesn't include U-bolts. I have 31's also, and want to go to 33's everyone tells me it will be OK only if I get longer bumpstops or a 1" body lift, but 32's are OK as is.

G

·

the 781130 is the bumpstop extensions and swaybar links. the bumpstop brackets are a must for 33s. and go with the XT shocks, you will like them.

dan

G

·

I just got off the phone with WARN and this is the general feel I was given,
WARN has recently been purchased by another company, and I assume are looking at stream lining buisness. The guy I spoke to "Tom" was only a customer rep. so I took all he said with a grain of salt. I was told WARN was going to focus on the Jeep market and not so much on the general four wheel drive market. I asked about the life time warranty on the BD springs and was told that no matter what the warranty would be honored with original purchase receipt. Also if the springs were no longer available that WARN would refund my cost of the springs.
INMO WARN has made thier reputation on Jeep products "Hubs namely" and I dont think they would just up and leave thier customers hanging. I personally will not hesitate to do buisness with them in the future. Thanks AustnJPR

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

dan
do i have to buy QTY 2 of each of those part numbers and QTY 2 of the shocks as well? if so, this would greatly increase the price of this kit.

fratt

G

·

I paid $475 for my black diamond 3.5"kit on a YJ. I bought it from John Walls 4X4 shop in Memphis Tenn. He also did the install for $150. I couldn't pass up that price in comparison to busted nuckles, broken bolts, etc. The kit included springs, shocks, t-case lowering kit, extended sway bars, trac bar relocating device, etc. I drove in at 8:00 am and drove out around noon.
As for Warn, they did replace my rear springs no questions asked when I had a problem. I would highly recommend the warn kit over any other unless you want to spend big bucks and go with National Spring or the warn coil suspension.

G

·

yes you will need
2 of the 781131 front springs, 2 of the 781132 rear springs, 1 of the 781129 ubolts component box, and 1 of the 781130 additional component box. i did not add shock numbers so you can pick your own.

dan

G

·

Careful of Trailquest... he'll sell you a complete kit, which is just the springs, t-case lowering, and that's it. I recently won a dispute over this, as he charged me 160 extra for the "complete" kit... You'll have to purchase the rest of the parts separately (warn sells a "BOX" kit with EVERYTHING you could ever dream of, including a HUGE window sticker and hat). They're still in the box... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

If you need, I've got the 2 swaybars from the 3.5" kit... it's for a YJ, but you're welcome to them for a few pennies on the $... say shipping? Still sealed and everything! Personally, I'd spring for the JKS sway-bar discos...

The Black Diamond AT shocks can be stiff...

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Well, I just ordered the 3" CJ kit from Quadratec this morning. I was ""this close to getting the system from trailquest, but the post scared me & the fact that it wasn't a complete kit (have to buy busings & U-bolts seperate) didn't sit exactly right, plus quadratec has everyting in stock except the back shocks & trailquest would be drop shipping from warn, & I heard they have been having a hard time keeping up with the demand for the springs. It was about the same price overall from one than the other. It was going to be $550 from trailquest, but the bushings & U-bolts would make it as much as the $599 from quadratec. Plus, the guy, John from quadratec told me 3 times that the kit included a drop pitman arm (which I have my suspicions that it doesn't), & it it doesn't I will certainly call him on it. PS here a pix of my jeep right after I got it last fall with 35,000 original miles, bone stock & rust from sitting around.

Attachments

G

·

Just to let you know I am looking in my Warn product and application guide as I write this and on page 94 they clearly state "Jeep pitman arm PN:716250 recommended for '76 to '86 Jeep CJ with 3" lift or more." maybe the guys at Quadratec are throwing the arm in now but when I got my Warn lift from them they did not. The component box, Warn PN781130, does not include a pitman arm in it. good luck I hope that Qaudratec does not disapoint you. AustnJPR

G

·
Re: Warn Lift Kits

Yeah, John told me that I'd have my springs by 9/15/99, and didn't get them until late October... after I called Warn about them. He charged my credit card on 9/16, but didn't even place the order until 10/1. The springs were then on back-order for 6 weeks...

It did NOT come with the pitman arm... it came with the springs, and I think Ubolts... but I'm not 100% on that... I got EVERYTHING else from Warn. Others have had luck with Trailquest... just not me. Oh yeah... their sway-bar disco's bushings are rubber, and will crack within a few months....

The Warn springs come with poly bushings for attaching to the frame... the box kit comes with the shackle hanger bushings... My MOREs came with greasable bolts and poly bushings... anyways... Everyone has problems at one time or another... with any company...

Oh yeah! Congrats on ordering... I have had great luck with Quadratec and MORE, even Rosser...

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

G

·

you are correct, the pitman arm is not in the hardware kits. you might try running without, some people do and live with a little bump steer. you can always add it later.

dan

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

it's kinda hard seeing exactly what Im gonna get since the quadratec catalog lists the springs & shocks together & doesn't list "box kit", so I guess I'll see, like I said, I think I may not get the drop pitman arm (& our 78 CJ7 with a 2 1/2" lift doesn't have a drop pitman arm& its OK), But you can bet your bottom dollar that if it doesn't come with it, Ill call & b*tch about it & see what I can get. Thanks for the tip on the QD's from trailquest, I was seriously considering getting them, any recommendations for another brand? AustinJPR, did you get the bumpstop kit with yours? I am holding off on that because I think I might just run 32's for now & add the bumpstops if I get 33's. (I saw the pix of your jeep & I guess those are 32's, your rig looks good) Im also planning on getting slickrock spring hangars & braided stainless brakelines from 4wd Hardware (I live close enough to drive there & pick them up).

G

·

Bump stops I dont need no stinkin bump stops! Yes i am running 32" right now and they rubbed just a little with the sway bar disconnected, I added a Daystar 1" body lift and now have cut the fenders and installed TJ flares so I should be able to run 35". I think the brake lines are a must. As a side note I was very surprised that once I installed this kit I didnt have to do any drive shaft work. AustnJPR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.