Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between warn's standard and premium hubs? Are the premiums worth the extra $$$$$ ??
Thanks for any help.
Maxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From what I've seen, the WARN standard hubs are built with some plastic internal parts. The premium hubs I've dealt with on the other hand are composed of metal. Also, when locking/unlocking the hubs, the standards only require about a quarter turn of the dial, where the premiums allow for almost a full rotation (I like this feature).

As far as if the premium is worth the extra expense, I will say I've always been happy with the premiums which is what I've always used...never tried the standards to give you a comparison. The premium hubs also carry a lifetime guarantee against mechanical failure. For all I know, the standard hubs may also have this same warranty, I'm just not sure. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either version, I just have had first-hand experience with the premiums.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from the Dusey-Eurshem trail and broke the rear axle (full floater). I have the warn premiun hub and it didn't break (just my luck) but the axle did. So, I'd say they were strong.

82CJ5 Laredo I6 258 T18 D300 (w 4 t0 1) D44 rear D30 front 4.27 gears (ARB both ends)and other home modifications

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent figured out how to break a warn axle yet, but I've blown 2 of the lockouts so far on the full floater kit...THe premiums look nicer, but I personly dont think one is better than the other...

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes you want a weak link. In Goose's situation, it would have probably been cheaper to have the hubs break than the axles. Just something to consider.

G-Man
If you don't like the way I'm living, you can just leave this long-haired country boy alone.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Digger76 is right the standard hubs what a lot of plastic on them and they only move quarter turn (I just put a pair o my CJ) if I could do it over I'd get the premium hubs. As for a weak point warn has hub fuses you can get then the hub and axle will stay intact the fuse goes and then you just replace the fuse.

Jeremy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts