Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice/info/expertise on the warn full float rear axle for the model 20 rearend, thinking about picking up a used axle(entire axle) want to know any opinions or experience with this. worth the price? hold up like they claim? or should i wait it out for a dana 44/60? thanks
jeff

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
the warn kit is very good, i've seen acouple axle shafts twist @ splines (warn replaces for free)

the only negative things i've seen if your still using the factory drum brakes, the e-brake lever can touch the rotating hub and grinds some off the metal off. (if not fixed, after many many miles it could possibley cause problem. and sometime they start leaking alittle gear oil out the locking hubs, this can be fixed also.....

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I read here a few weeks ago that the Warn kit was more expensive than a D44 conversion. If you are going to do an axel swap anyway might as well go with a 44 if it's cheaper.

If the Warn kit is already installed, and you can get it cheap, it's a different story.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one thing about the floater kit is you need to make damn sure your housing is straight. If not you will wipe out the hubs and/or side gears in the carrier. The AMC 20 is very prone to bending so I would double check the housing first and then truss it.
Regarding the parking brake bar hitting the hub, It's right in the instructions Warn supplies in the floater kit that you may have to tweak it to clear. They even give a diagram of how to do it. Nickmil.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check out the Feb 2002 issue of Petersin's 4wheel & off-road page 84. They do a 20 with Warn full float and disk brakes.

87YJ
Here we go again. Done once and now doing it right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had heard bad things about the housings bending as well, but Brad posted recently that he's seen many in operation and that they hold up very, very well. You might want to private message him or try to find that post of his. Brad's handle is "cjjeepercreeper"

I Jeep, therefore I am.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why not look into a ford 8.8? there's a shop in raleigh, nc that can put a 8.8 w/locker, new gear, new axleshafts and new discs under your Jeep for $2900 (that includes installation). the setup is also stronger than a D44.

Jon
'95 YJ - 32x11.50 - 4 banger!
Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've got them and they are a breeze to install. i can't think of any big issues with them other than the decission to pack with grease or leave out a seal and let diff. oil lube bearing, i went with grease.one problem i had was with their lock washer. the primary nut has a pin on it and the lock washer has holes that line up with this pin. the lock nut is then installed and i torqued to spec. but after road test of about 50 miles found one hub to be heating up. took it apart and found the lock washer had stripped the key in the spindle and inside nut was overtightened. called warn they sent me four new washers(just in case)and new spec. for lock nut. also i did not specify for disc brakes and had to do some mods on my brake mounts to make it work. not to get into the 20 versus 44 debate but i'm running a detroit e-zlocker and use my cj for off-road i've heard the horror stories but have had no problems yet with my 20, i have though done some excessive stupid pedal tricks that twisted the drive shaft like an ice cream cone but the 20 is still hanging in there.

taco
78cj7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts