Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve got a 97 tj with D30 & D35 4:56 gears & f&r powertrax lockers. What's your opinion on the Warn full floater and the hub conversion kit? The stock axles only have 27 splines vs an axle upgrade such as D44 or 8.8. We trailer the Jeep on most 4X outings but will have to flat-tow occasionally. What's your opinion on flat-towing with the powertrax lockers?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think the FF is a good alternative to an axle swap for moderate wheeling. Pretty much anything short of the Hammers.
Every one I've talked to that's flat towed with those hubs unlocked has broken a hub though. As for the locker, it won't make any difference in the flat towing.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com

·
Registered
900 Posts
flat towing with a locker by itself poses no problem. Lockers are designed to unlock around corners when torque isn't present at the drive shaft....

The real question is usually around the tcase. Usually the question is 'Do the tcase bearings get lubed while flat towing?'. With a front disconnect axle, a locker will always spin the drive shaft (unless you have locking hubs). This can be bad if only part of the tcase is spinning and not the parts that splash the bearings with lube. The rear driveshaft will always be spinning too (unless equipped with full floating locking hubs).

The one way to ensure the tcase isn't spinning is to remove the driveshafts (or tie them away from the axle in the rear with the slip yoke). The lockers will not hurt a thing, and if anything, will help the Jeep track a little better on the open road.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts