Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there was warn 8274 winch on ebay that sold for $425. no one would bid on it b/c it was not a 8274-50 what is the difference, and why would a plain 8274 be undesirable?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

G

·
The 8274-50 is just a newer model. I think it might have a different motor. There is nothing wrong with an 8274 and the majority of them that you see are not 8274-50 models. It did not come out until 1999. Mine was made in the early eighties and works like a champ.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what you are saying is that i passed up a really good deal?

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
A few weeks ago, I bought a "regular" 8274 off of ebay for $400 for our '79 CJ7. We got it, works great. The 8274-50 is faster, but I'd day the standard 8274 goes close to as fast as the Warn HS9500i (and I have one of those on my '85). It didn't come with a roller fairlead, and I bought new cable and hook for it (to be safe), but overall, I figured I saved about $500 vs. buying an 8274-50 new. Plus it looks pretty cool on the front of the '79 kinda a "vintage" look. So, yup, in my book you missed out on a good deal - they come up pretty frequently there though.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was hesitant b/c the seller was very vague in his description of the winch, and i emailed him several times before he even told me that it worked and never answered the question as to the condition of the winch and naturally, his scanner was broke, so he couldn't send a pic. anyway, i didn't bid, but someone else finally did w/ 3 minutes left.

one last question. does the 8274 still have 150' of cable?

thanks all,
shawn

G

·
The new ones (-50) have the new Bosch motor with more power. I have a mid '80s model and have no complaints. I have used mine quite hard at times and it has been plenty strong. That was a good price in my book. A few friends have the new ones, but I haven't seen them in a situation that showed any difference yet, so I can't say.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
'79 K10 mud racer (for sale)

G

·
The older ones don't have a Clutch (Power in and out). I've had one sence the 70's and have even uprighted a flipped school bus (with about 7 trucks hooked to me for weight). The thing to look for in the motor (working), drum (rusted-out under the cable). By in the $400 range it would be a good deal.

G

·
The ones that don't have a clutch are the old model (8200 I think) prior to the 8274. When the 8274 was introduced in 1974 (hence the model number) the biggest change was the addition on the clutch and the ability to power out.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274

G

·
The 8074 (non-clutch) was the model prior to the 8274. I bought one advertised as a 8274, had to call Warn to figure out what i had. Maybe the 8200 was prior to the 8074.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Heck i go back even farther. I have the bellvue winch which is the first of the uprights. Its over 35 years old and is one mean A$$ winch. It says it is a 6000 pounder, but i can do things that a warn 9500 cant do. I have yet to even come close to making it stall. The bellvue was the first, which has no power out or electic brake, then came the 8200, which is power in and out with an automatic brake, then the 8274, and last the 8274-50. The 50 just stand for warns 50th birthday. It may have some few changes but nothing that is that big of a deal.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Here is a little history on the upright winches:

Belleview (model 6000/8000) produced from 1962(apprx) to 1971. These are power in only with cable controls.

Model 8200 produced from the end of the 8000 until the introduction of the 8274. This looks like the 8000, but has an automatic brake, and a reversing motor with remote cord controls.

8074/8274 These started in 1974. The 8074 was the no clutch model and the 8274 has a clutch.

8274-50 Started production in 1998 as an anniversary model. Only changes were the powdercoat cases, revised brake (supposed to cut down on chatter), new knob (T handle) and control pack (different cover and solenoids). The first units were still using the 2.5hp Wapsa motor until summer of 1999 when a running change was made to the 4.6hp Bosch unit.

Now a few secrets:

The 4.6 motor will fit all of the 8274s. Service PN 7536 is the new motor and matching drive gear.

The old style control packs (pre 1998) IMO are better. These use the pn2040 solenoid. This solenoid is a better piece than the pn 28396 they use now. Of course if you want to be real trick, you can put the Contactor from Warns Industrial line on there (it is a solid state control that can handle more amps and is water resistant).

If you can find a used unit, buy it as you can always rebuild it for less than the cost of a new one. All of the parts are available (you can also change a 8074 to 8274 by changing the top housing) to keep it running like new.

I hope this helps you out on your search for a good winch. The 8274 is arguably the best winch ever produced. You cant go wrong with owning one.

Dan
"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing. "
-- AlbertEinstein

G

·
I also bought a 8274 from E-Bay
I got it for $500 inc shipping. Best thing I did. Keep your eyes open, I've seen a few

Chu
[email protected]
YJ-7
HEI, 32/36, stump puller clutch,
44/30 axles both geared and locked
Warn axles, 8274, T-18, 35 MT/Rs, York set-up, ect...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok so now I'm confused. I have an old winch that I always assumed was a Warn. It had a Warn decal on it, but by the description I see here, it would be a Belleview (or is that Bellevue ?) It has power in only, an external brake that uses a fabric type pad, and is set up for remote cables. What is it ? All I know for sure it that it will pull anything and only cost me $150. The neighbor down the street has one just like it with a bad motor that he wants to sell me for $75. I've thought about buying it for parts or to put a motor on and sell. If it is a Belleview, what are the chances of finding a motor ?

G

·
The Bellevue was its own company and purchased by Warn. As for a motor contact Romaine Electric in Seattle (206) 583-8600. They have exchange units on the shelf.

Dan
"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing. "
-- AlbertEinstein

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If you dont want the winch of your neighbors. Let me know i would love to have a parts winch for my bellvue. Let me know.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If your talking about the bellvue motor there is a guy in ohio i think that sell rebuilt ones. If your talking about 8274 call warn. Now your last option is find your local 12v guru and have him go through it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.