Off Roading Forums banner

Wanted: Pic of AC Compressor on AMC 360

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Jay Anger 
#1 ·
Hi, I am looking for a picture of a stock york compressor on a 360 engine, mainly interesed in the mounting bracket and how it bolts on. I have a friend has one but just by looking at it I couldn't tell if it was missing a bracket or how it would bolt on. thanks Mike

G
#2 ·
ARRRGH!!! I don't have a picture of the pieces or one on the engine, but it's just a friggen puzzle. I puled one off complete for the 304 I built for my son and still have not been able to figure it out...but then again I'm old and feeble (just kidding).

I have another Waggie with one and as I dissassemble that, it will be cleaned and immediately go on another engine while it's still fresh in my mind.

Just a puzzle. You gotta play with it to make the parts fit.

#3 ·
There are only two brackets to the Air Compressor. One that bolts to the front passenger side of the engine, the other goes back from the top of the compressor, to the intake. I stood mine up on the bracket and tossed the second one. I've got a Chilton's manual. I think if you look at the alternator swap, there is a good shot of the bracket mounted up. The picture I'm thinking of has a clear picture of the long bolts that are used. Some long bolts go through the air compressor barcket & timing chain cover to the block. Another long bolt goes through the 'pivot' hole on the alternator. I'd nab a picture but I don't have a digital camera to use.

#6 ·
Chris, did you rotate the compressor on your engine or did someone else? I would think it would work better the way yours is rather than with it on it side like stock.

Here is how they are stock:

#7 ·
Doesn't matter. You can mount it either on its side or stright up and down. The same bolt pattern is on both sides and the bottom.
I mounted it straight up and down in hope of having less oil in the air. But then I ended up plugging the weep hole to the crank case and that permanently fixed the oil in the air issue.

PBY - I have exactly the picture you need at home. I will post it up here tonight.
Here ya go:

#9 ·
Thanks for the info, I picked up the compressor today and it does have the bottom bracket and lay on its side. My 360 never had the ac compressor but has the 3 belt pulleys. so it seems the onlything I am missing is the altenator bracket that goes over the water pump. It is shaped different for an alt/compressor set up. Just that one piece I will have to get. thanks Mike

#13 ·
Yep,
There is a clutch on the front and it should freewheel. there should be a wire coming out of it. Take a 12v power source and attach the ground to the case and the hot wire to the wire coming from the clutch. This should lock the clutch. Then just spin the pump and see if air comes out.

#14 ·
A note on that compressor to manifold bracket

If you use the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, this bracket comes up a little short . . . if you use the post 1984 360 brackets out of Cherokees and Waggies. It can be installed as-is, but you must gradually tighten the mounting bolts (on both the compressor mounting bracket, as well as the compressor to manifold bracket. The problem with doing this is that it angles the compressor slightly, and causes a slight misalignment with the waterpump pully and the alternator pully, as well as some increased wear on your v-belts.

There is no real easy fix to this; the compressor to manifold bracket is stamped so thin on the outside edges of the bolt holes, you aren't left with much room to re-position holes, and you can't move the aluminum bolt tower on the Edelbrock manifold . . . so you are kind of stuck. I noticed on one of the Jeeps sitting outside of John Lloyd's shop had a fix to this problem. Upon questioning the Jeeper, I found that he fabricated a square bracket to place on the top of the compressor, extending the rear of the bracket to accomidate a second set of bolt holes. This allowed him to stack the original bracket on top of the fabbed one . . . the catch to this is that the original bracket has to be re-bent to allow for the increased angles.

I just said to heck with it and bought an extra set of belts. Although I didn't specifically point out the slight misalignment to him, it passed muster with TR on his recent visit to southwest Missouri. I got his official shade-tree-mechanic-know-enough-to-be-dangerous seal of approval on my engine work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.