Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a junkyard yesterday looking for waggy front axles and after a few hours I found one. I couldn't turn the rotors (the guy was closing up, so I couldn't spend too much time) and the the only thing I could read on the tag was 48 14. Would that be ring/pinion teeth making it a 3.43 ratio? I read somewhere the ratios offered were 3.07 and 3.54.

Seconly, he wanted $400, but I got him down to $350 including tie rod, drag link, leaf springs, a set of ford f150 hubs, rotors, lockouts with the 5 on 5.5 pattern. This didn't sound too bad for around here (not to mention that I looked at about 30 junkyards before finding this one).

Here are my two questions:

Do you know what ratios were offered on a '78 wagoneer?
What are the prices around your area for the axles, hubs, rotors?

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

G

·
48-14 doesn't sound like a standard Dana ratio. Most likely 43-14, 3.07.
Here is one site that lists the common D44 ratios along with the teeth count.
http://www.drivetrain.com/dana44.html
The Dana site only lists 3.07, 3.54, and 4.09 for the Wagoneers in the 77-79 years, but I not sure how complete that site is. It doesn't list the BOM that's stamped on my D44. Anyway it might be worth a look.
http://www2.dana.com
Go to light Axles, then Axle build of materials and search by make and model.
As far as price goes, anytime you're dealing with the yards you are at their mercy. I've stopped going to the ones around here, they are all a bunch of bandits. I've had alot more luck using the Buy&Sell paper, and the best thing I've found is to put in a Wanted ad. I got my axles and York compressor that way. I got the narrow track Waggy front with flat top knuckles for $70 (Canadian) and he threw in the offset D44 rear. I also got another two sets of J-truck wide track D44's for $140 and we used the guys truck to hall them over to my place. So for $210 I've got 5 D44's and 1 AMC20 with a LSD. Not bad for one free ad in the Buy&Sell. Now admittedly I will only be using the narrow track front axle with the flat tops, but I'm taking gears and other parts from the others and for that kind of money I just took everything. Down the road who knows what I might put the wide track axles into.
The York compressor I got for $40 (Canadian) where as the yards wanted $90 and up.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I paid $450 for a set of Wagoneer axles.

Front 44 from '79 model including all linkages to pitman and leaf packs.

Rear HD20 from '85 model including spring plates with U-bolts.

4- 6-bolt G.wagoneer aluminum wheels.

I thought I did alright. I think the guy quoted me $250 for just the front. I had other quotes of $350. It really depends where you are. There are not that many old Wagoneers here.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Another plus, '78 should have the flat-top knuckles /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Actually, 74-77 FSJ front 44s had flat tops, and I've seen some late 77s that did NOT have flat tops, so I'd say 74-early 77.

You say tomato, I say fawk you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts