Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have chevy 350 in my 86 CJ that I'm planning on converting to TPI. I also have a 700r4 and a Dana300. I would like to incorporate a VSS.

What VSS options are available that I guess go on the D300?

Thanks

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a VSS from painless wiring, if you are going with a TPI & a 700r4 you sould have the VSS, it is used to control torque converter lockup, EGR function & other functions. do you have the TPI yet. if not go with the speed density system its easier to install & better if you have a stock motor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up a 1989 TPI that I'm putting on my 1972 Chevy 350 4 bolt main. I've been told the engine has been slightly cammed, what ever that means.

I'm am planning on going Speed Density using the 90-92 system.

How much was the painless VSS? does it go on the speedo cable from the D300?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark
A VSS through JEGS for 90-92 TPI is 61.99, & yes it threads on to the d300 & then your speedo cable threads to the VSS.
if you go with the MAP TPI system & a warm cam you will want to buy yourself a prom burner 1.to disable the vats system & 2.so you can tune your VE tables for the cam.
the prom burners are cheaper than a after market chip & you can customize your own prom.
to learn how to burn your own, go to this web site
www.thirdgen.org & go to the message boards look under diyprom & read the tech article on it .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I've been to that site before, but never noticed the PROM section.

That's a bit more involved (time and cost) than I want to spend. Howell has one for less than $100.

Thanks for the info on the VSS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.