Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK Guys! Listen UP! I need all the help I can get here...'

CJDave, Send up a Crew of your Crack Mormon MoonGuys who'll work for root-beer! The CJ is making it's yearly Wisconsin northern migration to the Garage for a total Fiberglass Body swap. I've never worked with Fiberglass before, so if any of you have any tips or thoughts that will help let me know. I'm in uncharted waters!

This body is used and is the ugliest thing you'd ever seen with "Goatherder" stenciled in German (hey, this IS Wisconsin) along the sides, and "Permote the Goat" bumper stickers back ( See it now, under wraps at: http://vanevery.homestead.com/UpgradeIndex.html ). But I got it for cheap! In the last year since it's last new coat of yellow paint the CJ has become a fixture around town! I dare not change the colour.

Does anyone know a good way to remove paint from the body while not destroying the underlying gel-coat? It'll be painted Corvette Yellow....the CJ is a 83 "Golden Eagle" that will be a "Golden MoonGuy" when I'm done. I've planned on a "Smiley Face" on the hood... so I'll need a vote from y'all:

When Finished with the body swap:

1. Do I Paint the Traditional "Smiley Face" on the Hood? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

or

2. Do I paint the Jeep "Bearded Smiley Face" on the Hood?

Vote now, Vote Often, and we'll see if I bend to the will of the Jeepers!

Good Jeepin'

Larry

G

·
I like the bearded guy, But...
I saw your website & the work that you put into it rebuilding the rear of the tub, Im a little surprised you are abandoning it?!?
I realize Wisconsin is tough, but has your tub rusted out again already, or is it not holding up as well as you'd like?
Or is just a "can't pass up the opportunity for a cheap fiberglass tub" situation.

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Having the scruff myself/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.........I say go with it.

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

G

·
Hi Larry,
Got me wondering to of why your dumping the steel body?
I hate salt and rust soooooooo baaad I'm just wondering if
you where loseing the battle?

G

·
You know wants so sad we all come to love the moon guy crew so much.
The little beer drinking ear farting round heads./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
No one but us know who they are. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifOBTW Is a ear fart anything like a brain fart/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I've been scheming on how to get a big wisker moonguy face on the SNOJEEP as well.....like about a foot or so in diameter. I can't use the spare tire cover, that's already reserved for He who went to the cross for us. We were thinking of cowl....they would take a moonguy of at least 8" or so. Larry....that yellow Jeep still looks real good. Are looks deceiving? Is it paint on top of not much else. We had fiberglass noses on the International trucks I used to run in my bizness, but I have to tell you that I left the repairs to a very talented Mexican kid who could do anything with fiberglass. I tried not to watch/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifso I wouldn't accidentally pick up any knowledge/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifbecause I really have no affinity whatsoever for body and paint work. Luckily, we have a lot of guys of Mexican ancestry who seem somehow????? genetically predisposed to spraying paint well./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The steel tub rebuild came out better than I expected. Though I've enjoyed it for the last year and a half, there were a few problems that always caused consternation, a ripple here, a small alllingment problem here, it all added up. I learned a lot by rebuilding the tub, and if I lived anywhere else but the upper midwest, the tub would have stayed, but I've to live anorher 25 years with this Jeep... So, functionally speaking it's destined to be a family heirloom. I expect it to someday be carrying my Grand kids and their kids around the BYU Campus.

I was shocked to see how much corrosion has occurred on the nuts and bolts since the refurb. I'm looking for an inexpensive source for stainless hardware in the nearby Twin Cities. This also will give me a chance to sandblast the frame. I'm not pleased with how the coatings of POR-15 have held up. I'll know more tomorrow when I tip the tub off the Jeep. There were three coats of POR-15 on the bottom of the flooring. I'll switch to either "frame paint" or to Herculiner. This is also going to give me a chance to clean up the rats nest wiring found behind the dash. I have lots of work to do there... switch panels to build and install, contacts to burnish, Ham radios to install, that kind of stuff... It should keep me off the streets for a couple more weeks, at least another month or so.

The used Fiberglass body was inexpensive compared to a new glass body. I just can't pass up a good deal. Back in '50's I saw a Fiberglass Bodied Corvette in Alaska. The owner used to start it every day in an unheated Quonset Hut during the winter. One morning he went to start the engine and slammed the door. It was so cold, much of the fiberglass shattered and fell off one side of the car to the ground. Since then I've always been intrigued by fiberglass bodies. Someday, I'd like to get a full fiberglass "hard doors" for the CJ... that would be very nice!

Keep the votes coming in.. it looks like it's a runaway for the Consertive Bearded Smiley Face!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifMy Moonguys insist on being professional on my posts/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif(See?). So they are always depicted as clean shaven./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

But they love to get scruffty when working or riding in the Jeep!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

They vote for the bearded look!!

Larry, you always end your posts with "Good Jeepin'" so I like to say: "Right Back at you!!" GOOD JEEPIN' xjy173

G

·
after readin all these posts i got an idea, i hope someone didn't say this already, but for us jeeps that don't have a logo about the JEEP letters on the side of out jeeps, why not put a smiley face instead of using a circular sahara sticker? it can kinda be an inside joke deal,

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

G

·
after readin all these posts i got an idea, i hope someone didn't say this already, but for us jeeps that don't have a logo about the JEEP letters on the side of out jeeps, why not put a smiley face instead of using a circular sahara sticker? it can kinda be an inside joke deal
thanks

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

·
Registered
370 Posts
I vote for the beard, but it will be a lot of work to paint all that stubble. I got the same idea about the moonguy badge on the side. What options come with the "MoonGuy" edition?

jerry

G

·
Moonguy Edition..... Permenently stocked cooler, where the back seat once was, Constantly repairing itself, and others. When you park a Moonguy Edition Jeep next to another jeep on the trail, the Lil buggers will magically fix the other Jeep, Very Rare however.
BJ

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'

G

·
Well, I dont know about the moonguys but I cast a vote for you to paint those wheels black. That would look great in my opinion.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
The front of the steering box or the front or rear diff. covers are naturals for a fine moonguy smiley./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
370 Posts
How about Moonguy wheels? How about putting a moonguy sticker on your Jeep for every mod, like markings on a fighter for each enemy shot down or stickers on football helmets for good plays? (Sorry if I'm getting carried away.)

jerry

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Hey I like the "enemy kills" idea./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Maybe all the tough runs around the country should start making moonguy stickers with the location on them.
I'd be proud to wear a door full of them. Hmmmmm... Now I just gotta go to some of these places./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.