Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vortecs on the way.....final Q\'s

After many financial setbacks, I was finially able to save the extra cash and ordered a new set of Vortec Heads, rocker arms, and edelbrock performer intake.
Can I use head gaskets that were designed for the older heads? I have a set of fel-pros that came with my gasket set. What about the intake gaskets, I have a set of those designed for pre-'86 heads too. Also, will my exhaust manifolds fit? I have factory cast-iron manifolds bolted to a '76 350. And finially the valve covers, is there any trick to sealing up center-bolt valve covers? I would think rubber gaskets and no adheasive so I can remove them and re-torque the head bolts. Ill probally wait till the end of the month to install the engine so if I have any more questions ill post back, thanks for any info.
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Vortecs on the way.....final Q\'s

The head gaskets that you have will work. You need intake gaskets that are designed for the Vortec heads. I think the stock ones are best (o-ring design), but Fel-Pro makes some too. The exhaust manifolds will fit no problem. With good rubber gaskets, the centerbolt valve covers will seal good with no extra sealant. You should be able to remove and install them many times.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I just opened the boxes today, Below each head bolt hole (the row under the valve covers), there is a smaller tapped hole. What is this for? Also, around the exhaust valves, the metal is slightly discolored (like it has been heated), Is this from hardening of the exhaust seats?
Thanks,
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I think the small tapped holes you are talking about are for the valve cover hold down bolts? Those would be the only other tapped holes under the covers. The discoloration would be from the induction hardening process for the exhaust valve seats as you suspected.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I should have known about the valve cover bolt holes. It occured to me yesterday evening when I went to the salvage yard to get the valve covers. When you look at the block infront of you, positioned sideways and look at the top of the deck surface, between the cylinders, there are large coolant holes. The head gaskets only have about a 1/8" hole there. Is there any reason not do drill those out to let more coolant flow through the heads? I thought it might be for colder parts of the country or something. Im more concerned about the summer heat than the few months of cold weather we get.
Thanks,
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.