Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can tell me exactly where the VIN tag should be on a 1976 cj5 (where on the firewall)and what it should start with for this year and model it would be greatly appreciated. Call me blind but I can't find it!
Thanks,
Rockclmbr

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
they sometimes rust and fall off...mine is pop riveted to my fiberglass tub

~~Elusive~~

·
Registered
129 Posts
I also have a 76 cj-5.The vin is on the dash just above the headlight switc.for the vin,here are the first few: j61a83a03......I'm in canada so it might be a little different.I hope this helps out!

Ben

·
Registered
586 Posts
The vin should be on the firewall on the drivers side. Most can fall off through rust. Other places to check would be on the frame rails by the rear tire or on the crossmember thats in front of the rear tire and helps support the fuel tank. State Police are aware of areas to check when they find abandoned vehicles but you might want to check it out for yourself before you wind up as the "receiver of stolen goods"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is on a decal above the headlight switch. I've seen macco spray right over this panel, so you might not have the tag anymore, starting in '79 or '80 they put a tag bracket above the wiper motor on the windshield...

A securtiy guard at an auto repo yard (had to go to pick up a friends jeep who's check got lost in the mail) was about to call the police BC I've 'removed' the bracket the vin plate is rivited to. After explaning a few times that my year jeep doesn't have one, I showed him the sticker / decal, which finally shut him up... - just a story.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts