Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yes, that could definitely be a problem. Output shafts should be firm and only move in one direction -- rotationally. BUT! As obvious as that may be, consider checking to make sure all your wheel lugs are tightened down and that all your tires are still in balance. Either of those things will cause vibration. I missed a bolt once and had four tight and one finger tight. Vibrated at 52-55 mph.

Also, before you go changing it out, make sure your new u-joints are still good and that the rear cross has seated correctly into the rear axle yoke. I lost a driveshaft once when I intalled it at night. It vibrated at about 50 mph and then went flying down the road when I hit 65.

But as for the bearing, it could be easy or it might just plain suck. The easy chance would be that you could remove the bearing without removing the shaft and even by chance not have to remove the tranny. In most cases and a reality situation is that you could have to remove the tranny, open it to remove the shaft and use a bearing puller to get it out.

There is a possiblity that you could be really lucky in that you have 2wd in that the easy way might be possible. The tailstock that is added for 2wd models might be able to be removed while in the vehicle. This would greatly increase the chances of being able to do it with tranny still in the truck. But I don't know the AW-4 2wds at all so I can't tell you if that's possible. I've got a 2wd manual and know a little more about that.

If you plan to try replacing it, don't forget to buy an output shaft seal with the bearing.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Sycho,
If he had the u-joints replaced on the original driveshaft, is there a way he could be out of phase?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.