Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if there are any differences between say a 1980 and a 86 dist vac advance? like different amounts of built in advance?
I did the nutter bypass and set timing to different degrees 6,8 etc and if i got back enough to get rid of rocker rattle,it runs lazy
Where it runs well i get rocker rattle under light to mid throttle but leaves if i open it up all the way,which looses ported vac at heavy
throttle and instantly rattle is gone,let off and rattle comes back,am i right that vac advance is pulling to much? any cures? I am not
sure my vac advance is the original either,this is on a 258 six AMC Eagle,i know i know,this isnt a Jeep,but is the next best thing! :)

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Uh....I could be wrong about this, but for the last two weeks I have had my nose in a lot of tech manuals doing the smog thing on our 304, and I don't recall seeing any distributor advance hooked to "ported vacuum". On our setup(1979) it hooks to the spark advance port of the carb, and the spark CTO shifts it to manifold vacuum when the engine is cold. All we have hooked to the "ported vacuum" port on the carb is the EGR. I have been checking all the technical stuff with "Marty" (CJ-8/5.2mag), he is very sharp on smog; and especially Jeep/AMC smog; and all the tuning ramifications. You might check this with him? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who's Marty? And what is a CJ-8/5.2mag? Sounds like something from the Department of Defense that ought to end in ...,1Each, Green.
sln

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Yep...that's right. CJ-8 5.2mag. JUST INSTALLED a 5.2 Magnum and auto in his CJ....a very extensive transplant, but a good one. MArty is very knowledgeable. Another Jeeper that is quite sharp on emmissions is "dorfs". His posts are always very technically accurate too. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guess what,i just happened to buy gasoline from another place and almost all of the rattle is gone,using regular unleaded from both places
not only does it rattle a lot less,seems to have a bit more power and looks like fuel mileage has risen a bit.I dont know if new gas is
that good or the other was just that bad .Hard to believe there can be that much difference in two companys gasoline...Pays to shop i guess..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.