Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of tearing down the CJ and was looking at the motor mounts today. I figure while I have everything apart would be a goof time to replace the horns and mounts. Being the cheap bastard that I am I can not bring myself to spend the $$$ on the MORE mounts. I was just wondering if anyone had welded up a set of their own and if so if you have measurements or ideas on the best way to go about it.

Thanks,

-web

G

·
Depends on what your time is worth.........
To me, some thing are not wroth my time to try and fabracate.....

Try Novak

·
Registered
757 Posts
This post is assuming you only wish to change moter mounts to a type tha will not let the motor drop, on your AMC 8v, and not part of a motor swap.

When switching from an AMC inline 6 to a v8 you only need to change one mount, but I can't remember which side it is. And When changing from a 258 to a 4.0 I cant remember if you can use 4.0 mounts. So, it might be posible that you could uor the other side. se a 4.0 mount on one side and maybe modify the other mount.

Given your post I am not entierly sure what you are trying to do. And I have not looked into this in sometime. Also alot of this depends on your welding ability. If you are a good welder then almost anything is posible. If you look at the MORE mounts they are not that complicated so they should be easy to reproduce. If you need measurements on 4.0 to YJ mounts I can Provide those. Other wise good luck.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the 360 in a 78 CJ-5, I kept the 258 mounts and modified them to work with the 8. I just don't like how it all fits together and would like something a bit more sturdy as I have already split a rubber mount. The MORE mounts are nice, but again, I'm a cheap bastard and my welding is pretty decent.

It just pains me to think about paying $200 for a set of motor mounts that probably cost $30 to make.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
They are definetly doable. I would probably make them using a rubber or polly yj spring bushing. I've never looked close at an amc v8 motor mount and how it attaches to the block. I'm going to make a new set of motor mounts for my 4.3 the next time it's out. They are going to be pretty simple, a piece of 1/4" plate that mounts to the block with a piece of sch 40 welded to that then at the frame end a polly bushing that fits into 2 tabs on the frame, maybe make a cradle that ties the 2 together under the motor. 1 theory is to mount the bushings as far away from the motor as possible to keep heat down on the bushings. Post up a pic of your current motor mounts and i might be able to come up with some more bad ideas.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking a flat plate for the motor side with either a section of pipe/tube welded to it going to another section of pipe/tube welded to the end of that to hold a bushing or two sections (ears) sticking out.

The frame side would be the opposite of the engine side, ears if I do pipe/tube on the engine side, or tube/pipe if I do the ears on the engine side.

Either way the connection will be a bolt through the pipe/tube and a bushing.

I was thinking that if I did the pipe/tube on the engine side I could get the bushing farther away from the block.

I am planning the flat steel to be 0.25" and will probably use sched 40 for the pipe/tube.

So basically what Andy was saying.

Comments, problems?

I've got some hand drawings, but when I put them together I think it will be easier to rough fit and then trim each side as I weld them. After I get them put together I will measure angles and dimensions. I priced out the materials the other day and don't think it will be over $30 to do both.

-web

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.