Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you motor heads what are your opinions on a 86 CJ7 straight six to Chevy 350 conversion. I was thinking about buying a crate motor from GM, V8 350 HO 330 horse and a new 4 wheel drive 700r4 tranny. What are your opinions?

Hoot

79' CJ-7,AMC 360, T400, Dana 300, D60 and D30 4.10, All Fiberblass.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Thats really a no brainer,as its probably the most popular set up out there, From daily drivers to competetive rock crawlers. I personaly wouldnt put a slush box in a seriouse crawler,but there are to many arguments against my opinion to even begin to try to validate it. I just like the feeling of picking my gears and feeling my way through obstacles. Autos are much more forgiving however. The main concern Ive had with buying a crate motor, is that they dont come with all of the items youll need, such as brackets. I was planning my next swap with a donor vehicle. Im curriouse have you priced this swap yet? Just out of curriousity I priced out a Ford 5.0 SVO Crate Motor,new NV4500,Atlas II T case, and proffesional install through Z&M coversions and almost fell out of my chair. Sticker shock doesnt usually scare me, in fact my Motto seems to be "buy high sell low", but it was well over $10,000. Even without the install it was close to 10K with motor,tranny,T case,adapters. Hmmm do the girls really need to go to college?
Jeff
89 Wrangler

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Find a donor TPI for the injection and all of the brackets. I managed to find a TPI 305 real cheap and am running it until it gives up which could be any time now. It wasn't in very good shape when I bought it, I don't think the oil had ever been changed. I did steal it for $700 and it's been pulling me around for 4 years. When it dies the injection and all the accessories go on a crate 350.

Get the '86 to '89 only, these are the MAF. Where you live, it might be well to avoid the '89 because it didn't have the extra cold start injector. You asked for opinions and I don't think you can do better than the TPI for cold weather starting and performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.