Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone dropped a V-8 in a TJ? My dad has a TJ with 33-12.50 tires and he doesn't like the power. We know that we can change the gears, but he wants a
V-8. We saw the V-10 powered TJ in the ORC Jeep pages. That looks like overkill. We probably won't attempt this for a few years but are curious if anyone has tried. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dan

The Lord Giveth, and the Government Taketh Away

·
Registered
961 Posts
I saw an article in the Feb 2000 issue of Four Wheeler Magazine where a guy had dropped a Chevy LT-1 engine into a YJ. It said that the engine seemed to fit into a Jeep better than the Camaro he pulled it from; with some custom parts of course. I'm not sure how much difference there is in the TJ from the YJ, but it is definitely an engine to consider. 300hp and 300 lbs of torque. They come in mid 90's vettes and camaros.
Just my .02
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
DieselYJ has put a Chevy 350, then a Chevy 6.2L Diesel, and finally a Chevy 6.5L Turbo Diesel. He said the 6.2L only had as much power as the 350, while the 6.5TD has real kick to it. These engines also mate up to an NV4500 with no adapter plate....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know how I could contact DieselYJ? Camaro engines are stuffed up under the front dash. Looking at the engine, it almost seems that you have to drop the engine to change the last 2 spark plugs. Thanks for the input guys. What axles and transfer case would need to be installed to handle the extra power of a V-8. Thanks in advance.

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know exactly what you are talking about! The last two spark plugs on a camro does seem like you have to drop the motor! not only that what about the valve covers! it is to bad that they are built that way! I was intrested in buying a newer style trans am, after i looked under the hood and saw that I passed on buying it! that was not the only reasons if i want a bow tie i will just get a 350 for the jeep! they fit better in jeeps anyways.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its all where YOU position the engine. If you opt to use a slim line electric fan, you can mount you engine about 6 inches more forward. I have a 350 in my cj-7 and did just that and have a good 4 inches in between firewall and the
distributor

CJ-7 10"lift

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
i put a 304 into my tj frame and put a cj body over it.. lots of work, but possible, i also bolted an automatic to that, and a dana 300 to that.. no real problems

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking into the Pages you suggested. Now I need to find a donor motor and get to it. Thanks again

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Magnum engines would be the better choice for the TJ as you will have an easier time hooking up the computerized guage cluster to the magnum engine controller. The wiring color codes are the same or similar between Jeep/Dodge engines also. If your TJ has the automatic, a simple trans case swap will mount the engine and you won't need to modify the shifter. Otherwise a NV4500 or NV3500 Dodge 5-speed will bolt to the stock t-case and use the same clutch hydraulic controls. A ZJ or Dakota 5.2 or 5.9 would be a smog legal swap in CA. as they are from the same weight class vehicles (under 6000 gvwr) and you can get one from the same year truck as the TJ. The V8 controller will fit in the stock mounting location perfectly, the stock fuel pump will work, the EVAP leak detection system will work, and the power steering hoses will fit the ZJ style power steering pump as if they were made for it. ZJ exhaust manifolds and the headpipe should fit perfectly. The length of the V8 is shorter than the 4.0l, so if you use one of the HD 5-speeds, you may be able to keep the same driveline lengths by shifting the engine forwards. A custom radiator will be needed as will custom engine mounts. If you have the optional Dana 44 rear axle, it should handle the power ok. You can even buy "JEEP" valve covers for the engine from Mopar Performance. Hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.