Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about using used axles out of a late '80's early '90's truck. I know that used axles have been used and abused, but new custom axles are way too expensive. Do you guys think it would be OK to use used axles. My Jeep is usually driven between 6-10 thousand a year. Any advice? Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I personally am a big fan of used parts. Part of the beauty of Jeep building (at least for me) is being able to scavange parts off of other vehicles like axles motors etc. in order to increase my Jeeps capabilities for much less dough than new. I am currently putting 44's out of a 77 scout under my project Jeepster Commando and just suggest that in order to save money you buy a set of axles that hasn't been setting too long. Frozen brakes and bad u-joints can bring the cost way up. Also I would always change all bearings and seals that are bad while they are off the vehicle in order to save hassle and those parts aren't expensive.

Scott Crothers

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I agree. I put a set of '78 Scout II axles with 4.10's under my Scrambler and added Lockrights. The only thing to watch out for is rebuilding the axles once they're apart. The rear was fine but the front took about $100 in seals and bearings. The axles did have 235,000 miles on them though... It's a good chance to rebuild them totally so they're like new, just watch for bends in the housing. How did the axle swap into the commando go? I have a '71 I'm thinking of as well.

JEEPN
'47/'51/'71/'81/'97

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The swap isn't done qutie yet. My Commando isn't going to be your typical rig when it is done so my swap will be alot different than if you were to do one i would imagine. I am going to an all coil over suspension and will be moving the rear axle back about 8". I am planning to use TJ rear fender flares and CJ ffronts. My body was pretty well shot when I got it so I thought why not go for Mad Max!

Scott C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim,
My jeep is almost entirely made up of used parts. I too am a big fan of them since the cost of new parts will usually break the bank. The only thing that is new on my jeep is the one of the lockers and the motor, the rest is used and it has held up great.
peanut

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
for me the finding/rebuilding/modifying is enjoyable, even it i had the money, i wouldn't buy custom/new parts, just check out my "Jeep Page" it's all used stuff (today a bought 4 16 x 7, 8-lug steel wheels, they are all bent alittle, $60.00 total), i cut the centers out and will be changing the "offset" (and straighten them also)

the hard part is telling if the part is rebuildable before you put alot of cash into it, some lessons are learned harder than others,

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.