Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with using open flame to loosen old, rusty bolts? I'm pondering a header install and was wondering how to get a flame at those bolts without blowing the Jeep up.

What's the technique here? Any tips, precautions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also, I assume propane is the fire of choice?

Thanks!
Chris

'85 CJ7/258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
welp chris, i've got an 88 and a 95 wrangler and any bolt that i can't get off using my hands or a good breaker bar, i just heat it up until its almost red, just don't melt it, and then give it a twist, i'm not sure if they did on your jeep but i know on the newer ones they used lock-tite everywhere, so the heat melts it and lets u turn it, also the with heat it makes the bolt expand crushing the rust and crap inside and making it easier to turn.. i think that sums it up pretty good.

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Wrangler 88 has got it right, Chris. Here is the rule.....if it is a nut...heat and twist off right away. If it is a bolt threaded in, heat and go do something else to let it shrink back FARTHER THAN IT WAS and it will come out. Remember....a nut heats up right away, and a big flame is better because you heat the nut so quick that the stud doesn't get a chance to get hot. If it is a bolt, you have a deep threaded shank, so a little heat over a long period of time will soak clear down to the bottom. That is all you will ever need to know. On bolts heat-expand-crush rust-cool-shrink-get loose/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif>>>On nuts..heat-expand-grab wrench fast and twist!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on some bolts you can get away with a good rap on the head with the three pound hammer you have in your tool box (you do have one in your jeep tool box right /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif). a lot of times a little impact will help loosen things up.

also keep two BFH's close by when working on rod ends (or any tapered shaft). hold one on one side of the shaft it is tapered into and hit directly on the other. this slightly deforms the metal and the tapered shaft will pop out. i will never use a pickle fork again for tie rods.

dan
Good things come to those who do research!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.