Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for x-mas, I get new upper 1/2 doors, and want to replace my OEM dog-chewed zipper pieces of CRUD with 1/2 sliders... who makes them? Bestop? are some better than others? does it replace the whole skin, or just 'zip' in? My dog chewed through most of my window gaskets... (long story, but suffice it to say, I filed a claim for damages with my insurance company...)

Dare I say this: There is a 33% off an order of $300 or less at carparts in this months Petersons (id: offroad001 thorough 1/31/00)... that could lessen the painful price... /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Jon-YJ94
I6, 3.5" Black Diamond, MORE, & more
still working!

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Both Steel Horse and Bestop make them. I think mine are Steel Horse, complete new upper door, not
just a new skin. Has a hard panel inside to hold the window. You might be able to do better than the
33% off, there are second appear on ebay for half price regularly. I gave $165 for mine there. One was
missing half a dozen stiches where the machine ran out of thread and the other had a tiny scratch on the
inside frame. Came in an unmarked box, but I asked the guy and I think he said they were Steel Horse.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJ, shouldn't we be out x-mas shopping, or something? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Have you had problems with the Steel Horse? I know I'm not pleased with the quality of their aftermarket side mirrors, as they shake SO much, you can't even see...

Any Leakage? I found some Sierra Top sliders in JC Whitney. Unless they're out of them (aren't they always!) I might go with them.. (for the eventuality I get a hard-top...)

Jon-YJ94
still working!

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Biggest problem I have with the upper sliders is the Velcro won't hold. About every week the corners
come loose which lets the strip at the bottom come out of the door channel. Of course I've got the old
style latches on my doors and I have to slam them a lot harder than you do. My lower doors are
fiberglass and I converted them to hold stock upper halves. The slider still won't come out even if the
velcro comes completely loose, god knows I tried to get it out of the frame when I was adjusting the pegs.
I think I'm gonna put a little RTV silicone on the corners of the Velcro, that'll hold it i'll bet. Also only the
rear section slides on mine, I don't know if the others are that way or not. Went to flip ashes off of a
cigarette without it being open as far as a thought, burnt a shirt and me when I hit the window.

I wouldn't have bothered to tell you about the savings by getting the sliders on ebay if I had known that
you could afford the Sierra half doors, at $299.95 that's HIGH. I think I'd wait for one of the 20% of sales.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't afford the Sierra's, I'd buy one at a time (299 each), and then get the next one for a b-day, and deal with the separated zippers until then! /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

Did you try sewing on the velcro? It never seems to work for my carpet in the rear, either... I bought extra large strips, and sewed them onto the carpet, but every time the pooch jumps in the back (took out the rear seat) she rips them out... gotta love the dogs!

Considering I only drive the jeep a few days a week, maybe my velco will last longer...

Thanks for the help!

Watch out for the ashes!

Jon-YJ94
still working!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.