Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally started going through a 74 CJ5 that I purchased a couple of months ago. I started with the front axle (a stock Dana 30) and discovered that the spindle bearings and seals on both on both sides have disintegrated. The driver’s side outer axle shaft is torn up and needs to be replaced. The wheel bearings, passenger side axle and one spindle are in questionable condition. The differential appears to be in good shape. I’m considering upgrades and am not sure which direction to go. One option I’m thinking about is looking for a complete used axle w/ disc brakes, doing the break conversion and salvaging some of the needed parts. Another option is new replacement parts. So far I haven’t been able to find a source for new axles with big U joints for pre 75 Jeeps. I don’t want to sink a lot of money ($500.00 tops) into this project at this time. I’m easy on my vehicles and don’t need an extremely heavy duty set up. Any advice or comments appreciated.

·
Registered
792 Posts
definetly find disk breaks, I would think you can find a 30 in good shape the some one is swapping out in favor of a heavier axle.
Try a post looking for one, if so many people have front dana 60s or what ever then what happens to all the stock 30s?

good luck
Tony

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.