Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to make a NP231 more durable? I vaguely remember someone saying that I could swap the chains out with a thicker one, but I can't remember what year/model of the donor x-case.

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the best thing you can do for a 231 is keep it full of good clean fluid. put a SYE kit on it as well.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Read the data tag on the t-case, yours will say np231-j meaning "Jeep". The ones on Dodge trucks say np231-dhd, meaning "Dodge heavy duty". Not only the chains are heavier, but also the gears, this is the one that you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're going to look at swapping the whole case, make sure you get rid of that HUGE tail shaft first.
As for if the guts are a direct replacement, I don't remember. I saw something about this is a Peterson's issue a while back..... Seemed pretty simple when I read it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think what Petersens had was.....the Jeep NP231 comes with a planetary gear unit that has three planetary gears, the Dodge NP231 comes with a
planetary gear unit that has 6 planetary gears. The Dodge set up is MUCH stronger and all the dimensions are the same....if you can get a unit like this it would definitely add some beef to your stock NP231.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doea anyone know if the complete NP231dhd , will swap into a Jeep? What tranny is used on the dodge that they come with? I am planning an engine swap in the spring and mostlikelt I will us an NV4500 tranny. If this is the tranny that matches with the NP231dhd then I am set.
Thanks,

Kirk
95 YJ rio grande

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
slip yoke eliminator. aka fixed yoke conversion. these get rid of the bad idea slip shaft output on your t-case and allows you to run a conventional driveshaft that is apprx 4-5in longer than stock.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Not only do you gain length on the driveline, but the slip joint is at a better, more flat angle as you raise up your Jeep. If you leave it stock and raise your jeep, the slide is at too much of an angle and doesn't slide without some binding./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

· Registered
111 Posts
Kirk,
I believe that the dodge np231 will bolt to an NV4500. The NV4500 comes mated to an NP241, which I believe has SYE kit available for it. I would say to go with th NP241 when you swap in the NV4500. When I swaped in a 4500, I used the stock dodge tailhousing to bole to my np231.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
The np231 dhd came on the v-8 Dakota's, all Ram trucks, and Durango's. Another thought would be the nv242 hd, which comes on the Dakota and Durango's. Just as strong, but with the added shift mode of full time 4x4, for the "snow Jeep".(damn, where are are those moon guy's!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.