Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfamiliar with AMC -have Q\'s

OK so let me get this right.
The early '70's 304 is rated with the highest HP but all models of 304 have poor oiling capabilities--

The 360 is powerful, with poor gas mileage but how is the oil delivery on it?

The 401 is basically a mill,but is also very rare- correct?

I'd like to gain more knowledge to make a final determination of what to run in my CJ5.

Thanks all

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Re: Unfamiliar with AMC -have Q\'s

The hp formula was changed in the early 70's, so those numbers are actually the same as the later 70's numbers.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
4,601 Posts

from what i heard all AMC v8's had the oiling problem.......

401 are rare, but you can find them...ask here if anyone has one.

there are cures for the oiling poroblem but i dont know what they are.....someone else here will be able to help you with that....CJdave for example...i remember him helping someone back a long time ago with that....i think..... /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Jeep'n Greg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The AMC 304/360/401 are all just about the same externally. They all use the
same oiling system, so they all suffer from poor oiling. The differences are
in the bore and stroke. This is done by different bore dia./diff. connecting
rods/diff. crankshafts. There are also differences in the heads, such as valve
and port sizes.

Gary

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

Come on now, vikinggg. He also wanted to know HOW to make it clicky;) To make it clicky, type the following:

{url}http://www.froadin.com{/url}
Now replace the { & } with [ & ]

Get it, got it, good!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well I already know of the different displacements. I really wanted to know the things like oiling between the three and dependability. It seems that whenever an AMC 304 is brought up someone mentions its bad oiling delivery.Also things like what kind of mileage to expect of one. With the oiling problem it seems to me that it might not be worth while to keep one or buy a used one with 150k + miles. Once I put it in the jeep I'd want it to last a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well if you want to install a moter that will last, be good on gass, cheap, and verry easy to find and verry easy to find parts for without oil problems, than put in a chevy 350. I went the other way and like the 360 that I have but when I think about what I spent on it and what I could have got in a chevy I cry. But at least my jeep is all jeep.
jim.

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What about the amc 390 dose it also have the oiling problem? I would like to know because I have a 390 in my jeep that I am getting ready to rebuild.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif There are two deficeincies in the overall oiling system of the AMC family of V8 engines. One is the lack of oil on the distributor drive gear, and the other one is the lack of an oil gallery crossover-equalizer in back of the block itself. The first one is easy to overcome, the second takes some risky machine work and can only be done when the engine is totally apart. If it wuz me, I would opt for a different engine rather than battle these built-in deficiencies. We have a 304 in our Jeep, but it was totally "built" when we acquired the Jeep. Otherwise we would have gone a different way./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks CJ dave- those deficiencies in the oiling is very discouraging to me about the AMC V8 line. Don't get me wrong ,I was very open-minded about the engine and was highly considering keeping my CJ "jeep" but as I 've been learning more about it ,it might not meet my expectations.
I'm sure there are many "built " amc out there though that can twist axles off . Too bad I couldn't get a hold of one eh!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.