Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....
I'm planning to clean up my under-garments on *DAMIAN*

There is some surface rust and light oxidation (to be expected, it's 6 years old) So I got me a niftly little gravity fed hopper http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45998(this little bugger ROCKS!)from Harbor Freight, and some Black Beauty slag.

I'm gonna' clean up the bottom (axles, shafts, trains, etc.) and paint it, but don't want to use bottomcoat as I fear it will retain all the dirt, causing a sleu of other problems.

At the speedshop where they did work on my Mustang, I've seen a rebuilt rear that was *brush* painted with some black stuff, but didn't get to find out what. It looked really hot.

I was thinking to hit it up w/ some plain-ole flat black Rustoleum.

Talk to me guys.....;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yipes... I blotched the Title..
*Undercoating Protectant or simply dirt magnet*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be careful where you blow that sand Damian, it will go everywhere. I hope you got the bast hood as well. That really helps to keep it out of your ears, nose, etc. BTW sand blasting that surface rust is a slow process. You may consider something like Eastwood I've used it and it works!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best stuff I ever used is POR 15. Kinda of pricey but very effective. No need to sand or remove the rust, POR 15 can be painted directly over the rust. I'm going to coat the underside of '65 Mustang once I tear it down for restoration.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Once you do get it cleaned up I would not go the route of some type of thick undercoat. I like the brush on idea. I did many parts of my underside using the brush on approach because I did not want black paint particles flying around sticking on my white paint. I just used plain old rustoleum type paint for my barbecuer. It's basically a flat, but is also high temp. Brushing it on makes it thicker than spraying and it has held up well the past 4 years or so since I did it.

I did buy some expensive semi gloss black spray paint to do all the coils and radius arms from Rancho. Couldn't stand the Dam* red anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
COOL BEANS!!
This looks pretty good http://www.por15.com/

Yeah, got the hood and protects....
That stuff goes *everywhere* like you're not kidding!

*IF* I do blast I plan to mask everything, really, really good. All the joints, and any exposed hardware.

But I like that POR 15!!

Will keep you posted...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Damian- POR-15 is good stuff, but like any other coating it is only as good as the prep. In the case of por-15 some of the prep is backwards from normal. Also keep in mind that por-15 is UV sensitive and fails if exposed to direct sunlight. There is supposed to be a UV safe version under a different part number. por-15 brushes on and typically flows smooth, so no brush marks. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used POR-15 and have liked it. I read in my directions that it was UV sensitive but I thought it said that it would only make it discolor not hurt it?. I need to check that again before I buy my next batch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UV Sensitive?
Did you guys experience this?
I would think that the effect would be minimal being that it is *under* the truck....

If so, did it just fade or did it discolor really bad?
I'm thinking that this is the route I'm going to go...

BRB - Off to get my exhaust done!! Woooo-Hoooo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used some on my frame and on various areas of the body several months ago. I have a couple of spots on the body that I haven't primed yet and I haven't noticed any discoloration or other problems and the UV is pretty high here in Denver. I should have mentioned this in my previous post but I hadn't had my coffee yet and wasn't thinking clearly.

One more thing I noticed when I used it, it goes a long way. I would pour a little (like 1/8th cup) in a cup when I was ready to treat the body and I always had extra left over, which is why my frame is partially coated now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine did a little peeling where it was exposed, but it could have been bad prep and coincedental. I have been known, believe it or not, to cut corners. Wouldn't know it by looking at my truck, but it's true...
However I would stay away from UV, at all costs. I find tinfoil hats work very well, and you can fashion them yourself quite easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.