Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that for some reason last night, my Jeep decided to make itself an ignition cut-off switch./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I went out to start her up and my battery was dead. Nothing had been left on and it was only parked for about 45min. The seatbelt buzzer sounded awfull, the voltometer was way down in the red and she just wouldn't crank. Not believing that my battery could be dead, I started to jiggle the shift lever incase the neutral safety switch was hooped. Nothing worked so I gave up and put it in neutral to roll it to the bottom of the driveway so I could get the other car out. I had the key turned to accessory so the steering wouldn't lock, and when I hit the brakes at the end of the driveway, all the power came back on and with a turn of the key, she fired right up. Later on last night it was time to head home so the same thing happened, no power. Again with the key to accessory, I put my foot on the brake pedal and all the electrics came back to full power.
Anyone have a clue what I need to fix before this strands me?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ground the starter solenoid if you haven't already done so.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Sounds like your three Jeeps are no longer acquainted. You know the ones....the frame, the engine/tranny group, and the body. Get some good ground cables to each of these three Jeeps and tie them together!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I learned that grounding junk.. from CJDAVE.. listen to him.. try that starter solenoid

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be reposting too soon because it may do it again in the morning but... /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gifI don't know how it was put on but the interior lights under the dash have been on./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif I turned off the light and now it's been starting fine. Oops! The only thing that's weird now is why, if the battery was drained, did the power come back when I hit the brake pedal? It probably is a bad ground and I was just lucky today. I'll find out tommorrow.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a problem for a while of the starter barely wanting to crank, and then suddenly crank well. It turned out to be corrosion on the starter end of the + battery cable. The current would burn through the corrosion and conduct. It finally melted itself in half. Check your cables.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.