Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am having to replace some bushings in the front of diff. they are right on the endes were the CV's bolt up. Any way, does anyone now how to remove the carrier? If I do will I have to set the backlash again? If I do I might as well get some 4.56 gears.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You have to crack the case to remove the carrier and yes the gears will need to be set up again. You should really have a book handy when doing this kind of stuff (no not for smacking yourself in the head - a chiltons). I can understand you wanting to patch it up a little while waiting for the SFA (a bushing here or a CV there), but the addition of 4.56's and the complete rebuild of the front end is just plain dumb if you'll be going SFA soon.

So have you changed your mind about the SFA, and really need help?

Or are you just being dumb about this and what you really need to do is remove the CV's, get a job, and do the SFA someday?

Just admit that you'll never do a SFA swap, or shut the hell up and take care of it - you've already been told how countless times.

I'm having another bad day today, so don't take it personally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no loaded weapons anywere near you rebel right?... wait... what am i talking about you sleep with one under your pillow

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I have to change the rear fgears to match the front, I would like to be able to use 4wd for a year or so till I get a SFA. I am having a hard time convincing my parents what a SFA is, My dad thinks it will be SO hard to completly change the front suspension. Anyway, Im off to get a book. I already split the case to oh well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Look I meant no offense there, but think about it for a second and you'll see what I mean. You've talked about a SFA for some time now. That's fine - you're showing intrest and exploring the possibilities, what's a better place to do that than here. Now you want to fix the IFS. It seems that you are just blowing hot air about the SFA now or you're just plain dumb to want to buy gears, bushings, CV's, and a setup kit for something you're just going to throw away (or sell for less than what this run of parts will cost) in a year (and I assumed sooner). If you have money pouring out your butt then I wouldn't question it, but that's not the case or you'd just do the SFA. You catch enough flack from everyone else for me to do it too, but I couldn't help it - it just sounded dumb. I understand your situation, but to get what you really want (the SFA swap) sooner and without wasting money, does it not sound logical to do without 4x4 like millions of people do every day with out problems for long enough to afford the SFA? Heck you not having 4x4 would kick you in the rear to save money too.

Have fun and be safe, but by god learn to manage and use money better before you start a family. I don't want to support your kids in the future because a similar waste of money put you in the poor house and on welfare.

Damnit, I'm doing it again - I'm just going to shut up and get a smoke for the nerves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ummmmmmmmm, ok I would have to say GOOD FREAKING JOB!!!

I wish my parents could understand that, I mean come on, I don't wana put anymoney in the IFS, unless I am going to sell it (witch I am thinking about doing) but what I am saying is, I can regear the front for about $150. And then have lowwer gears till time that I sell it or do a SFA.
I wouldn't be spending money on it if my parents weren't bitching so much.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
ok here is waht you do, DONT GET NEW GEARS, fix what needs to be fixed and thats IT, drive to a store BUY A FOR SALE SIGN!!!! sell it, and get a SFA truck or at least a IFS without a lift, that will be a dependable daily driver and not a money pit. then you can procede to save money for your SFA swap

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A smaller truck?! At first I just thought he was an inexpereinced youth with way more entusiasim than brains or experience....but that comment makes me think he is gay
j/k

Here is something I dont understand......if he is going to fix it at all then the cost isnt going to be much more to regear it right?(just the 150 beings he is going to need all the seals and all that install bs anyway) So if he is going to fix it for a year till he saves up for the swap then I dont see the deal with droping 150$ for gears so he has 4x4. Although I imagin it will hurt resale value to have those steep gears if he aint selling the rear with it. I'm shure most people would be looking for 3.73's beings thats what they broke....but anyway. The question should be if he should save all his $$$ for a SRA swap and not have 4x4 or put the SFA swap off a bit longer and have 4x4 till that time.

If you are going to fix the damn thing I would spend the extra $$$ and regear it but seting up gears is something that must be done carefully or you will F some stuff up.

You know what I would pay for a 4x4 truck that some kid had big tires and a busted/mismatched front end??? I would assume he ran the piss out of it and I wouldnt pay much. You are not going to get crap for your truck unless you lie your [censored] off and find some dumb inexperienced kid. JMO Dont be a spouge and lie to some one......if you get rid of your truck now you are going to take a bath on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WTF are you talking about? I have to regear the rear to match the front, so Y would someone pay less for a truck that has been regeard???? Anyway, there will be nothign wrong with my truck if I sell it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fungus,

i must say, i find you entertaining at times. like right now with your "uh oh" post.
you poor, poor fellow. you almost sound surprised you truck's falling apart.
but don't take it as encouragement to keep blowing hot air either.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
do you acually think that you have the talent and skills to setup a set of rear ends.
my bet is if he does it, he ends up shearing teeth off the gears in less than 25 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have someone thats done it MANY times befor to show me, and I would REALLY like to know how to it to save me some money when I need it done. Or do it for other people and make some money!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh yea, my DAD is MAKING ME fix the IFS, so I duno, I also did a no no, I thought the rear end was only reverse threaded, but the fron is to, and when I losend the ring gear I was actually tightening it, LOL I broke a bolt off in the carrier! LOL, oh well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought you already regeared the rear to 456 or what ever....I thought the point of swaping gears now was to make the front match the rear.

I was talking more in reply to someone telling you to sell your truck, meaning if you tried to sell it now you wouldnt get dick.

People wont pay less for a truck that has been regeared but if you try to sell your IFS later I would think it would be harder to offload something with not as comon of gear, but I dont know.

Did I clear myself up?

I dont do work for people for money because I dont want the liability if something f's up even if its thier fault. Something else to think about...

·
Registered
143 Posts
what happened to the "Future plans include 5.13 gears and solid front axle." quoted from "Jonathan"or [email protected] or is it "Josh". My point is i found a site that our good friend has posted his trucks pictures at and he seems to have a problem remembering his name. http://www.truckworld.com/Readers-Rides/gmc-offroad-pg3.html i dont have time to continue looking around that site but if he does like he does here then he is probly poping his ugly head up there some more also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In reply to:

Anyway, there will be nothign wrong with my truck if I sell it.
---Begin of sarcasm------
Nope.... absolutely nothing wrong with that frankenstien setup.
------ End of Sarcasm-----
You pray to god you dont end up killing the person who will actually give you money for that truck with all your own .... how should I put this..... engineering!?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.