Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, on my way to work this morning there is a section of freeway that goes down hill a ways and it's a nice long gentle curve. I was late so I thought I'd let the CJ get up to about 70-75. About half way into the curve this very loud noise starts from the left front tire, like the wheel is rubbing on the body or something. With great alarm I get off the freeway and stop as soon as I can. Looking at it I don't see anything rubbing or anything wrong for that matter. Rather perplexed. I grab the hub and try to move it, nope, all 5 bolts are still tight. (I check these every 2 weeks just to make sure) As I'm staring at it trying to think what's wrong I'm scraping mud off of the hub housing, by the selector dial. Wait a sec, do I see the arrow pointing at a 4?! Yes, it is! I immediately check the other side. No, it's in 2 wheel. Apprently some curious "individual" decided to lock my drivers side into 4 wheel yesterday while I was in the office. Ugh! Well, I put it back in 2 wheel and no noise and all 'seems' fine. This probably was done before I drove home last night, so total miles are about 65, all freeway. What kind of damage might this have done? And why do people think they can play with someone elses vehicle?
I hate that!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
1. Wear and Tear?
2. Yes...
3. Damage?
4. Likely not.
5. Pull the hub,
6. Check it out for damage,
7. Clean it,
8. Lightly lube it,
9. Re-assemble.
10. It's not a bad time to check those wheel bearings!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Leve. Any idea why it would make such a loud noise? It litterally sounded like the tire was rubbing on the body. Well, I've been meaning to upgrade to the Warn conversion ket anyway. This might be a good time to do it.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Check that the leaf spring hasn't started shifting into the tire. Occasionally if the things that hold the springs from shifting break they will rub into your tires in hard cornering. Banging them with a hammer and using hose clamps can fix that.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
A few things come to mind that may or may not be relevant to your situation and noise.

The D30 and D44 front hubs have a plastic "Dust Shield" behind the spindle that can make some noise when the hubs are locked. That noise becomes much greater when the needle bearing inside the spindle is worn out. Put that in place along with worn out lower ball joints and you get some pretty loud sounds. I assume this is because the hub moves in relation to the axle, beyond the normal range, putting the u-joint in a bind. No damage as long as you stay on the road and nothing breaks.

While I have never seen this in a Jeep I would be happy to have some help changing the ball joints in my kid's Blazer that has a D44 front. Oversize tires make it worse and likely wear things out more quickly, the Blazer has 35 inch tires.

As for running highway speeds with locked hubs my other Son won the grand prize with his CJ-7. Spun off the front drive shaft and poked a silver dollar size hole in the T5 case taking a chunk from the transmission to transfer adapter with it. The drive shaft likely was at fault but I rebuilt both the T5 and the D300 completely. DON'T FORGET TO UNLOCK YOUR HUBS !

I know you didn't do it to yourself but it is easy to forget, I did a few times up until that adventure.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
In reply to:

this very loud noise starts from the left front tire, like the wheel is rubbing on the body or something

[/ QUOTE ]

As was pointed out, a bad inner spindle bearing sounds like the most logical explanation.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Driving with your hub engaged really isn't going to cause any major harm. My f150's hubs are engaged all winter. Some waggies came with drive flanges instead of actual hubs.

Barrelroll

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Er......ah......JEEP PEOPLE! You are missing something here!.....WAKE UP!......!!
The noise that Riff-plus-Raff heard was the SPIDER GEARS racking like mad! When you lock only one hub, and the t-case is NOT in FWD, then the locked hub spins the spider gears and rotates the axle on the opposite side!!!!
SHEESH! Is no one awake out there????
Haven't you guys ever used "Oklahoma Rear-Axle-Only Low Range" by locking one front hub? By doing that, you cause the driveline to rotate, but having one front hub unlocked relieves stress on the front axle on hard surfaced roads. On Quadra-Trac Jeeps you can run in QT "Lock" and lock only one front hub to get the same effect.
Here......take this pot of coffee........WAKE UP OUT THERE!!!!!!!
Heck...take TWO pots of coffee.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
In reply to:

The noise that Riff-plus-Raff heard was the SPIDER GEARS racking like mad

[/ QUOTE ]

But the wranglers, chevy's and older dodges are the same way buy using the central axle disconnect. The driveshaft stays still, there are no hubs to disengage and the long side axle is seperated into two pieces with the inner one rotating backward and the outer one forward. The spider gears shouldn't be making noise. I still bet on a worn out inner spindle bearing.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
WILL.....you're right about the YJ's with the axle disconnect, and I SUSPECT that those vacuum-disconnect differentials have more that just a few thrust washers tossed in behind those spider gears as differentials have historically had. Since the factory intended the spiders to be rolling around in there as the Jeeper sped happily down the freeway in his YJ in 2WD, they must have made some changes in the way the spider gears are held. Differentials won't live long if the spiders have to turn constantly......usually from mismatched tires........unless some sort of special measures have been engineered into the spider gear carriers. In the case of Riff-plus-Raff, his differential has nowhere near that kind of capability, and I suspect it was protesting loudly, which was what he heard.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, now that I think about it, the spider gears make sense. After unlocking that wheel, she has driven fine with no noise. I plan on taking the hub apart this weekend and maybe opening up the differential to have a look see. Oh, yes, it is an 85 CJ7 with the stock front axle and hubs. By the way, Riff-plus-Raff?

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
In reply to:

After unlocking that wheel, she has driven fine with no noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was the inner spindle bearing, unlocking the hub would stop the axle shaft from spinning in that bearing too. Pull the spindle off and check that too.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Like Will said.....look deeper. Make sure you didn't hurt something. Don't forget to pull the cover and look there too. (spiders aren't designed to be turning a million miles an hr for any length of time)

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
In reply to:

But the wranglers, chevy's and older dodges are the same way buy using the central axle disconnect.

[/ QUOTE ]
and
In reply to:

spiders aren't designed to be turning a million miles an hr for any length of time

[/ QUOTE ]
and what CjDave said...
but this does bring up a good point... what is different in the tj's? no hubs or disconnects there...actually... I think most new 4wd's are like this...I have even done gear swaps in them and havent noticed anything funny lookin....

I once had a quadra-trac cj that made funny noises in the front diff like that.. I ever did figure out why.. it was only occasionally and tapping the throttle would make it stop...did it for years

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Chris, spiders don't turn like that unless only one hub is locked and driven on the street.
It's kinda like taking one axle out of an open rear......it won't go anywhere, but the spiders are rotating really fast. And thats something they don't normally do. (very often or very long)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
This thread went off in some crazy directions...... I sure hope that RiffRaff will follow up and let us know what was what !

No one bothered to say..... lock both hubs and take the same ride to see what happens.

Please please tell us.... what was it?????

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I was on the throne (where all my good ideas come from) and thought to myself...."self, I bet the needle cage bearing on the onside of the spindle went south"
So I came out here and posted it, Cause I have a whloe beer that says thats it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Riffraff, i am going with the manual locking hubs. Mine fell apart internally, and while traveling on the highway, the CJ would give off a nasty rubbing noise. I put some Warn hubs, problem fixed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, unfortuanately I didn't look at it at all this weekend as I had planned. This was my first weekend off in 4 weeks. I'm an accounant and it's time for my company's annual audit. So....saturday was spent with the Jeepchic and Sunday was sleep in day and relax about the house. After reading all of this I feel like replacing the whole dang axle. My knowledge of differentials is about the same as my knowledge of sub atomic nuclear physics. So, I promise to let you all know what it is when I look at it. As it stands right now it's not a huge priority. Unless the wheel falls off. That might make me change my mind. thanks for all of the ideas though!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.