Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for looking for heavy duty rear U-joints (that can handle upto 300ft lb of torque)/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif for 91 Wrangler with Dana 35 axle. I was been told to buy "Spicer" brand and NAPA sells it. Can anyone suggest others? /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks,

Nycjeep :) /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
a $9 run of the mill autozone Ujoint will take 300 Ft lbs of torque more than a dana 35 , if its kept greased...

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
umm.. once again.. a u-joint is a u-joint.. it only gets stronger if it gets bigger.. they are limited to size.. so they can only make them so strong.. if you want stronger then you have to go bigger..
i would go with brute force just for the warranty.. you break it they give you another.. have gone thru 3 of them.. never had a problem..
besides.. you want to break u-joints... since they are 13 bucks.. vs. 200 bucks for your ring and pinion gears.. something has to be the weak link..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
i want to interject here Jeepgod,

Ive seen lots of variance, quality wise on Ujoints of hte same size, not all are machined to the same journal tolerances, not all are heat treated the same, or even started with teh same alloys..

its possible to be stronger and the same size when you go from price extreme to price extreme..

but honestly, most well built rigs will never break one thats been properly cared for ( lubricated) and works at a realistic angle..

a rig with a 454 and dana 30 doesnt fall under the catagory id call "well built"

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
For that matter you dont neccessarily want your u joint to be so strong that its the last thing to go. Or you could end up with a broken axle shaft instead . You want everything in the drive train as strong as you can get it, but the U joint is a good place for a breakable link. there are differences in strength though for equal size U joints, I think Spicer was putting out some high strength alloy joints a while ago, I havent heard much about them though lately.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
sorry ozark.. i had seen results from a test.. where they tested just about all major brands.. and they all broke at about the same point.. i mean they were plenty strong.. and i do agree that with proper care and correct angle.. it should be really hard to break one.. but i was just going by the test.. warn did the test.. i could probably find the results and post them here.. but who knows.. i didnt do it.. so i dont believe one hundred percent.. but they did the test.. because they were testing the new axle shafts they had made..
im sure there can be some difference in makes.. but i dont think it would still be that much of a difference.. and i also believe that they should break.. before something else does..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
great Jeepgod,
thats what i want, show me data that makes me think differently..
you do have some type of data to make a statement like that right?

show me the DATA!

( do I sound like Cuba Gooding JR. yet?)

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.