Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the original front axle u-joints? they dont have the retainer clips, instead it looks like there is a large metal cap. I tried pressing them in a large vice with the socket, but no luck. Also tried to pry the cap off, again nothing. These are 27 years old and really need to be replaced. Any suggestions?

cjcrawler
"The Beast"
74CJ,304,D20w/Tera Low 3.15:1, dana30&44wlockrights,fullcage,woods'shafts, 33" BFG MT's

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
There are clips inside the yokes. You need to remove them then use a large socket as a base then a smaller socket (craftsman) to go to town on.Then get a BFH
The last letter is for Hammer.Watch your hands!!!
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Scout D 300,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,Detroits,38" Hawgs, 4" BDS SOA,
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myhomepage/profile.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clips arent visible, only a large metal cap. cant remove the clips or press the socket into it with the metal caps there.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"
74CJ,304,D20w/Tera Low 3.15:1, dana30&44wlockrights,fullcage,woods'shafts, 33" BFG MT's

·
Registered
543 Posts
the clips are on the inside. heres a picture of what they should look like. ive seen em so rusty that they look like they are not even there. use a fine punch, or flat blade screwdriver to knock them out. rap a few times on the end of the cap you're going for first. that should make it possible to knock that clip off. repeat as necessary.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the clips are there, they are under the metal cap. this is not the end cap of the u-joint, its a large piece of metal that protrudes from the joints. i have replaced u-joints by removing the clips, but these are different.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

·
Registered
543 Posts
the clips are on the inside of the yoke.. not under the cap. i am sending a pic to your email. it was too big a file for this site, they are a large c-clip.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, i finally found the clips. almost invisible in there. havent changed these kind yet, guess they will be fun to get out too. off to work

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts