Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering hauling my Sami to the Melt in the back of a U-Haul high cube van but I have some questions...

Who else has done this? I have access to getting the Sami in a U-Haul here but will there be a place to unload it at the Badlands? Did anyone do this last year? What's the shortest length truck that I can use to safely drive this half way across the US?

Thanks,
Pauly

Give it to me; I'll break it.

G

·
i can get 2 zuks in my 24' cargo trailer but it is close about 6 in clearance.so a 12 ft bed should do it if it is wide enough. unless your bumpers stick out to much. don't tell the u haul people what you are up to. i have hauled race cars half way across the country no problems. i found a loading dock and ramp by driving around town and flipped the guy ten bucks to use it for a min. when i got to texas we backed it into a ditch and used a couple of short 2x10s to unload it from the truck[should be much easier than a 3k lb race car or a 1/2 ton lwb chevy pu up we did]. later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
A couple of Spidertrax guys did this the year before last at Moab. Drove from NJ to UT and back. Carried 2 Zooks in a Ryder truck.

They used OSHA scaffolding planks to get them it in/out. Scary, but do-able.

Yankee Tim/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked with Ryder. They want $39.95 a day for a 12 ft. plus $.59 a mile! YOUCH! Looks like I'll need to find another way...or do a little tamperin'/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Go with uhaul.... 1700 miles and the 26' truck is 200 bucks. I'm trying to get some ppl down here to do it! Crunch whats your 20? I'm about 12 miles north of Orlando (down town). Think we could get 3 zooks inside them? and one on a trailer?

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't help you out much; I'm in Maryland. It'd be just as long for me to drive down your way as it would be to go to Indiana/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifmaybe even longer. I'll talk with U-Haul today.

Well, these rates are WAY too steep. Everyone's about the same price. I might check with a local place to see if they're cheaper. If not, it looks like I'll be passing up on the Melt...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
go with uhaul man, should be much cheaper. you can load unload in many ditch lines on the side of a road. get some 2x12s, cut them in half, double them, makes loadin n unloadin easier.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!

G

·
Capn_crunch this (renting trucks for long distance moves) is some thing that i have done quite a bit use the 1-800 numbers and call the company they will almost always give you a better price than the local guy,also let them know that you are comparing prices they will try to give you the best price that they can.

G

·
A question to those of you that have done this: How do you go about securing the vehicle while in transport. I have approximately 1200 miles to travel to reach Zukimelt, and I wouldn't want the Zuk rolling around all the way there.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I am thinking of either a trailer or one of those dolly trailer deals to transport my Samurai from KCMO behind a 4 liter Ranger...

They GOTTA be cheaper than a straight truck -- unless you don't have a vehicle with towing capabilities...

I'm almost tempted to just drive mine to the Melt! It ran STRONG on the highway this afternoon! Still concerned about the oil pressure -- new pump, low idle, sender has no history. Gonna change the sender when I change the oil set the idle and adjust the valve lashing again on Friday...

Acker

·
Registered
500 Posts
rgd, if the truck does not have tie downs in the floor, but has wooded floors, you can chock the tires. This is the way I hauled trucks in a 48' van trailer(18 wheeler). Chock each side of the tire, all four tires. I used small pieces of 4x4's placed against the tire, and then used a 2x4 to wedge the 4x4 into the tire tight. Nail the 2x4 into the floor and into the 4x4. Set the brakes and put it in gear of course. My longest haul and roughest roads using this method was when I loaded a Ford Ranger in New Jersey. Loaded it in the front, then had some other drops loaded behind it. Went to Tn, New Orleans, Houston and finalled in San Antonio(ranger). The Ranger did not move an inch, which if you ever been across I10 in La. is truly amazing.

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair

·
Registered
500 Posts
I dont see why it hurt anything. Pull the nails out before you turn it back in, doubt they would ever know. Most dry van type trucks are equiped with a wooden or composite type floor for this purpose. Not sure if u-haul has the wood floors or not, if they do I would not hesitate if there are no tie down points in the floor.

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
on the last uhaul we used to haul zuks, it had a aluminum floor. but that was a 26 footer. smaller units might well have a wood floor, no experience on the lil units. if they got wood floors, throw some nails in them, they wont ever know. be sure to pull them before you take it back like he said.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.