Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I busted my Universal joint at the axle side the other day (trying to climb a hill to enthusiastically). Now I seem to re-call some psot from years ago that there are U-bolts available from Chrysler that replace the small bolts and straps. Does any -one have a part number? It is for a 93 YJ w/35c rear axle.

Ta much

BlueJay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure about YJs, but they are available from places like 4WD HW. One thing, it is not a direct replacement, you must replace
the yoke. U bolts are only a few bucks, the new yoke is $40 or so.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I put U-Bolts/nuts on my '89 YJ Dana 35 awhile ago, I don't know the part #'s but this is what i did. first mark the pinion/nut/yoke and then remove the Yoke and drill the threads outs clean,(it don't have to be perfect, just don't use to big of a bit)then take it to a auto parts store like NAPA (or someplace you don't have to say make/model/year) and tell them you want some U-bolts to fit. Put the yoke back in the same place (you won't alter your pinion depth)
Another good upgrade you might do while the Yoke is off is Weld a washer or something over that little tit that retains the U-Joint caps, they are famous for breaking off and then you know what happens.

3/4tonYJ

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif That's a great upgrade! AND easy to do. BE SURE that you don't go farther with the yolk retaining nut than it was as marked.....there is NO backing up. You go too far...you scrood up; you in deep trouble, so WATCH IT!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the drilling out idea, wish I had thought of that. I've wanted to change over for a while, but the $40 apiece for yokes kept me putting it off. Only one thing, why didn't you mention this a few days ago when I had everything apart including the t-case!

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.