Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two ?\'s

First post to this site. Two questions really, one is, how do I get the nut off of the steering box to change pitman arms? it's stuck! Also, my Caster is 2degress negative (or forward) when I looked at it there are shims that make the situation worse. Im 5 degrees out, can I simply turn those shims in the other direction? Would turning 2 degrees shims around net me 4degress total. Any front end experts out there? Thanks, Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Two ?\'s

Ken, My best luck with removing a stuck pitman arm nut is with a high torc impact wrench(600 lbs).
As for the degree shims, is the thin side of the shim pointing toward the front of the jeep??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Welcome to the board!

I say you pay your local Jeepshop (not the dealer)... they'll charge like $50.00... if that... mine charged me 20...

If not, there is some type of puller out there... help, anyone?

Jon-YJ94
I6, 3.5" Black Diamond, MORE, & more
still working!

· Registered
485 Posts

I just changed my steering gear two nights ago. Here's what I found out. The nut on my box (78 CJ7) is a 34mm. Metric!
I just used a long breaker bar while the box was still in the Jeep. You might also try some liquid wrench. spray it down very
liberally. Then just use a puller and tap on the side of the pitman arm with a hammer and it will pop right off. Hope that helps.

Alec

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Those shims should have the thick end towards the front. Turning them around will change the caster by 4 degrees. A big breaker bar (1/2" drive) should get that nut off and if not go the impact gun route. Once it's off though, you will need a puller to get the pitman arm off and chances are, it will take an impact also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If the thick end of the shim is pointing toward the fron then the pinion angle will be way off. With the thin end of the shim pointing to the front it will roll the pinion up (which does change the caster) so as to not eat up the u-joints.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ranger,
You are correct about the way they point. The more important angle to take into consideration is the caster angle. Two-degrees of shim won't tear up a u-joint and most four-wheeling isn't at high speed. Vibration from the front driveline would be negligable if the driveline angles are off by two degrees.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for all the input, I did get the nut off! Grunt!!! But broke the puller when attempting to pull the arm so back to the tool store!!! I will be turning the shims this weekend and let you all know. BTW, Im using a wrangler pit arm on my CJ, just filed out the indexing spaces and getting 2" of drop or so. Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.