Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the old posts and from what I understand is the following true and if not, please tell me what is correct.

1. Will any CJ Dana 30 Wide Track front axle from 1982 to 1986 fit a 68 Jeepster? and, 2. Did any come with 3.31 gears?

Thinking of taking the Dana 27A with disk brake conversion and limited slip out and replace with the above, wanted the wide track that is suppose to be 56" wheel to wheel instead of the 53" for the standard axle. I need a sharper turning radius.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ed, -1);Yes, they will bolt right up. -keep in mind that you'll need the tie rods, etc. for the wider axle & may need some combination of them depending on what steering box you're running. Wide track axles are 5" wides than stock Commando. -2); 3:31 gears don't sound right...I know you can get 2:72, 3:54 & 3:73 gears for those CJ-7 axles, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was trying to check in to that... Some CJ-7s came with an AMC 20 rear axle, which is what I have, and those were the options the axle shop gave me... Other CJ-7s came with a Dana 44 rear, and maybe 3:31s were a possibility on those.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as far as CJ-7's go, they were produced from 1976-1986, only 1986 had the dana 44 option, every other year only the corp. 20 was available. I don't know gear options specifically except I thought it was the same as wranglers: 6-cyl had 3.07s and 4 cyl's had 4.11?

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande, BFG 30" A/Ts, basically stock
73 Commando, 304/TH400/D20, basically stock and rusty

·
Registered
319 Posts
If the gear ratio tag is still on the axle, should be on the left side looking at the diff cover, these are the letter codes:
D = 2.73
B = 3.31
A = 3.54
GG= 3.73
C = 4.10

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, whay are you going to do with your 27??? I'm not going to be doing any hardcore off-roading (for now, I only have one vehicle now so I can't beat on it too hard). But I was looking in to doing the disk brake upgrade, but if your geting rid of it... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1970 Jeepster half cab
225 V6/2.5" Suspension Lift/ Modified Roll Bar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.