Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made a twin stick for their dana 20? Why don't they make one?
There are more of these transfer case out there than dana 300's.

Matthew Graves

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since the Dana20 case is very similar to the Dana18, you might be able to use the early stock twinstick from the Dana18.
You might want to give Jeff Sugg at M.I.T. a call. He can tell you if this will work. 619-570-7727 Good luck.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
early scouts used twin stick model 20, check out the binder bulletin for a used transfer case, you can probably buy a transfer case alot cheaper than an aftermarket shifter, yes you can build your own (use handles from model 18), no the rest of the model 18 can not be used due to the difference in the functions of the shift rails. model 20 each stick controls one axle, model 18 one stick only engages/disengages front axle, other one is for hi/lo/neutral

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I could be wrong here, but I don't think you get the same benefits with the Dana 20. The Dana 300 has
two shafts, one controls the front axle drive and the other controls the rear axle drive. With the
twin-stick conversion you can have any combination of FWD, RWD, or 4WD in high of low. You could
also have high to one axle and low to the other. "Is that a good thing, Bull?" "No, that's usually a bad
thing, Axl." My reason for wanting this is that, with the full floaters at the rear, if I explode the rear
differential, I could isolate it and drive home on the front, or use front wheel drive only in certain
conditions.

If I am not mistaken, the Dana 20 uses one shift rod for high or low and the other shaft to engage or
disengage the front drive wheel drive. Better check this out though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you want to isolate front or rear axle high or low you could follow those instructions and do yours right. However on my 78 CJ-5 and many other Jeep Dana 20's I've seen you can simply use time to aid you in getting 2wd rear low. After the linkages and shift rods wear with time there will be a spot just ahead of 4low where you can shift it into 2wd rear low, when you shift it will fall into this spot on it's own. To get 4 low just pull the lever a little further back.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
My older brother decided to twin stick his D300 (1980's Scout II). Now the shifters pop in and out of gear at will. When he gets stuck, the first thing he checks is to see if he's in 2WD, front or rear. The single shifter worked great when stock, the problem arose when he went to the twin stick. Just thought I'd throw that out there for chewing material...
I twin stick'd the NP205 in my Scrambler, when in Rear High I cannot shift into Front Low at the same time, won't go. I have to shift one lever twice, kind of a pain in the neck, but at least I can't screw it up (and that's about the only thing). Are the D300's the same or can you cross gears?

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've thought I wanted to do this, and it'd be neat to have, but upon thinking on it, what's the point? You can effectively have 2WD Low by using 4L and leaving the hubs unlocked. I do this all the time when I get onto a hard (don't need 4WD) but rough (need low range) trail. I can't think of any situations where you'd need 2L but 4L wouldn't be equally appropriate. A front (only) drive would be neat, but it sounds like that's not always possible.

-Dana

The reason it's always so difficult for Bill Clinton to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth is because it's usually three different stories.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
The main reason I went with the twin stick is due to the front locker. When making tight turns up here in Maine (as opposed to other parts of the country, ha ha), I can pop the front out and power around the turn without having the front end bind and strain the power steering and hubs. Lots of times I don't need the front locker to turn a corner but don't want to be getting in and out of the jeep all the time to unlock one hub. I usually stay in 4L, so I also don't want to shift back/forth from Lo/Hi range a lot.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.